Faculty Profile for Dr. Carmen E Westerberg
Research InterestsHuman memory, sleep, memory consolidation, aging, Alzheimer's disease
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Westerberg, C., Hawkins, C. A., & Rendon, L. C. (2018). Sleep-dependent reductions in reality-monitoring errors arise from more conservative decision criteria. Learning & Memory, 105–108.
- Batterink, L., Westerberg, C. E., & Paller, K. A. (2017). Vocabulary learning benefits from REM after slow-wave sleep. Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, 144, 102–113. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nlm.2017.07.001
- Westerberg, C., Florczak, S. M., Weintraub, S., Mesulam, M.-M., Marshall, L., Zee, P. C., & Paller, K. A. (2015). Memory improvement via slow oscillatory stimulation in older adults. Neurobiology of Aging, 36(9), 2577–2586. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2015.05.014
- Westerberg, C. E., Mayes, A., Florczak, S. M., Chen, Y., Creery, J., Parrish, T., … Paller, K. A. (2013). Distinct medial temporal contributions to different forms of recognition in patients with amnestic mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer’s disease. Neuropsychologia, 51, 2450–2461.
- Westerberg, C. E., Mander, B. A., Florczak, S. M., Weintraub, S., Mesulam, M.-M., Zee, P. C., & Paller, K. A. (2012). Concurrent impairments in sleep and memory in amnestic mild cognitive impairment. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, 18, 11–Jan.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Research Leave Award, Texas State University. 2018 - 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Excellence in Teaching, College of Liberal Arts. August 26, 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Scholarly / Creative Activities, Office of the President, Texas State University. August 21, 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Seminar Award, Office of the President, Texas State University. August 21, 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Valero Award for Excellence, Office of the Provost, Texas State University. January 1, 2015
- Westerberg, Carmen E. Improving Analogical Problem Solving Through Sleep, Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 2017, Funded: December 2017 - May 2019). Grant.
- Hegde Niezgoda, Asha Latha (Principal), Westerberg, Carmen E (Co-Principal), Martinez-Ramos, Gloria P. (Co-Principal), Ahn, Mira (Co-Principal). Effects of indoor lighting interventions on sleep, well-being, and safety in older adults living independently in public housing, Multidisciplinary Team Incentive, Texas State University, $2460. (Funded: July 2016 - Present). Grant.
- Westerberg, Carmen (Principal). Sleeping to remember: A never approach to understanding age-related memory decline, Texas State University, Institutional (Higher Ed), $8000. (Funded: 2013 - 2014). Grant.
- Westerberg, Carmen (Principal). Connections Between Memory Dysfunction and Sleep in Alzheimer's Disease, American Health Assistance Foundation, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $100000. (Funded: 2008 - 2010). Grant.
- Westerberg, Carmen (Principal). State of Illinois Department of Public Health Alzheimer's Disease Research Fund, State of Illinois Department of Public Health, State, $35000. (Funded: 2007 - 2008). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Memory Disorders Research Society
Psychology Department Respondent
International Conference for Graduate Students
November 7, 2017-November 7, 2017
San Marcos High School Psychology Club
February 2, 2017
Walk to End Alzheimer's Disease
Distinguished Research Panelist
International Research Conference for Graduate Students
November 1, 2015-November 1, 2015