Faculty Profile for Dr. Krista J Howard
Biography and EducationDr. Howard earned her PhD in Health Psychology and Neuroscience from the University of Texas at Arlington in 2010.
Teaching InterestsIntroduction to Statistics
Applied Biostatistics (graduate level)
Foundations of Health Psychology (graduate level)
Internships: RestoreFX and Brain Balance
Research InterestsDr. Howard is a biostatistician who uses the biopsychosocial approach to study predictive factors that influence specific behaviors and health outcomes.
Her main areas of research include:
Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain; Central Sensitization; Opioid Misuse
Hypothyroidism and other Metabolic Disorders
Social Media and Mental Health
Treatment and Medication Adherence
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Dailey, S. L., Howard, K. J., Roming, S., Ceballos, N. A., & Grimes, T. (2020). A biopsychosocial approach to understanding social media addiction. Human Behavior and Emerging Technologies. https://doi.org/10.1002/hbe2.182
- Robinson, A., Bonnette, A., Howard, K. J., Ceballos, N. A., Dailey, S. L., Lu, Y., & Grimes, T. (2019). Social Comparisons, Social Media Addiction, and Social Interactions: An examination of specific social media behaviors related to major depressive disorder in a Millennial population. Journal of Applied Biobehavioral Research, 24(1), e12158.
- Ceballos, N. A., Howard, K., Dailey, S., Sharma, S., & Grimes, T. (2018). Collegiate Binge Drinking and Social Media Use among Hispanics and Non-Hispanics. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 79(6), 868–875. https://doi.org/10.15288/jsad.2018.79.868
- Snyder, M., Haskard-Zolnierek, K., Howard, K. J., & Hu, Y. (n.d.). Weight stigma in health care settings is associated with provider-patient relationship factors and adherence among individuals with hypothyroidism. Journal of Health Psychology.
- Howard, J. T., & Howard, K. J. (2020). The effect of perceived stress on absenteeism and presenteeism in public school teachers. Journal of Workplace Behavioral Health, 35(2), 100–116.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Liberal Arts College Achievement Award for Excellence in Teaching. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi National Honor Society. November 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Health Scholar Showcase, Texas State University. February 2018
- Award / Honor Nominee: Dean's Presidential Nominee for Excellence in Scholarly Activity. September 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Golden Apple Award for Scholarly Activity, Liberal Arts College. September 2016
- Howard, Krista J (Principal), Ceballos, Natalie A (Supporting), Grimes, Thomas (Supporting), Dailey, Stephanie Layne (Supporting), Lu, Yongmei (Supporting), Lee, Hsun Ming (Supporting), Sharma, Shobhit (Supporting), Lawrence, Grayson B (Other). Does Social Media Make Us Sick? A Pilot Study on the Effects of Social Media on Physiological Reactivity and Mental Health, MIRG, Texas State University, $23784. (Funded: July 2018 - February 2020). Grant.
- Burke, Patricia Jean (Principal), Haskard Zolnierek, Kelly B (Co-Principal), Howard, Krista J (Co-Principal), Lawrence, Grayson B (Co-Principal), Tamir, Dan (Co-Principal). Increasing Treatment Adherence in Patients with Metabolic Syndrome: Development of a Support Network Application, MIRG, Texas State University, $25000. (Funded: June 2016 - June 2017). Grant.
- Haskard Zolnierek, Kelly (Principal), Howard, Krista J (Co-Principal). Interactive Medication Adherence Monitor (IMAM) Smartphone Program for Chronic Medical Conditions - Phase II, Texas State University Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $6670. (Submitted: January 1, 2013, Funded: January 2013 - December 2013). Grant.
- Howard, Krista J (Principal). Evaluating Disparity in Outcomes of Total Joint Replacement in Underserved Population, Texas State University Research Enhancement Program, Institutional (Higher Ed), $8000. (Submitted: January 1, 2011, Funded: January 2011 - December 2011). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Editorial Board, Journal of Applied Biobehavioral Research
January 1, 2011-Present
Policy Review Committee
January 2019-May 2019
Campus Climate Survey Committee
January 2017-December 2018
October 2018-October 2018
March For Science