Faculty Profile for Dr. Burkay T Ozturk
Teaching InterestsPhilosophy of Science, Ethics, History of Philosophy, Philosophy of Law, Philosophy of Sex and Love, Critical Thinking,
Research InterestsPhilosophy of Science, Ethics, Epistemology, Metaphysics, Philosophy of Sex and Love
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Ozturk, B. T. (2018). The Negotiative Theory of Gender Identity and The Limits of First-Person Authority. In The Philosophy of Sex (pp. 139–160). New York, USA: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Ozturk, B. T. (2016). Of German Tanks and Scientific Theories: Estimating the Number of Unconceived Alternatives. Southwest Philosophy Review.
- Ozturk, B. T. (n.d.). Islam and Immigration to the West. In R. W. Fischer (Ed.), Ethics: Left and Right. Oxford University Press.
- Ozturk, B. T. (n.d.). A Reply to Saba Fatima. In R. W. Fischer (Ed.), Ethics, Left and Right. Oxford University Press.
- Ozturk, B. T., & Fischer, B. (n.d.). Speech and War: Rethinking the Ethics of Speech Restrictions. In D. A. Downs & C. W. Surpernant (Eds.), The Value and Limits of Academic Speech: Philosophical, Political, and Legal Perspectives (pp. 187–204). New York: Routledge.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Dean’s Scholar, U. of Illinois at Chicago. 2012 - 2013
- Award / Honor Recipient: Chancellor’s Scholar for Interdisciplinary Research, U. of Illinois at Chicago. 2011 - 2012
- Award / Honor Recipient: Chicago Consular Corps Scholarship, Chicago Consular Corps. January 1, 2008 - December 31, 2008
Selected Service Activities
Undergraduate Curriculum Committee
August 30, 2017-Present
The Pre-Health Committee
March 1, 2016-Present
Central Texas Philosophy Workshop
October 1, 2015-April 15, 2016
Graduate Student Council Member
U. of Illinois at Chicago
Graduate Student Representative
Department of Phil, U. of Illinois at Chicago