Faculty Profile for Dr. Carlos Abreu Mendoza
Biography and EducationCarlos Abreu Mendoza was born in Huelva, Spain and earned a B.A. in Spanish Philology from the University of Seville. He holds an M.A. in Hispanic Literature and a Ph.D. in Romance Languages and Literatures from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Research InterestsDr. Abreu Mendoza’s research interests include nineteenth century and contemporary Latin American literature, postcolonial studies, aesthetics, the genealogy of the sublime, and Andean studies. He has co-edited the volume Crítica de la razón andina with anthropologist Denise Y. Arnold (Editorial A Contracorriente, 2018). This book aims to rethink the historical and disciplinary complexity of “lo andino” and the way in which this concept shapes key debates concerning politics, identity and territory in Latin America. Alongside his theoretical interest in Andean Studies, he continues to pursue his long-standing research in Southern Cone contemporary fiction, especially the work of Horacio Quiroga, Jorge Luis Borges, and Juan José Saer.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Abreu Mendoza, C. (2018). Más allá de la necrografía: una relectura del suicidio en la vida y obra de Horacio Quiroga. Revista Canadiense de Estudios Hispánicos, 42(2), 267–290.
- Abreu Mendoza, C., & Arnold, D. Y. (2018). Crítica de la razón andina. Raleigh, United States: Editorial A Contracorriente.
- Abreu Mendoza, C. (2017). La paternidad conciliadora de El entenado: Borges, Di Benedetto y la tradición argentina. Chasqui, 46(2), 161–177.
- Abreu Mendoza, C. (2017). Reading Simón Bolívar’s Delirium: Messianism and its Publics. Modern Language Notes, 132(2), 291–315.
- Abreu Mendoza, C. (2016). Horacio Castellanos Moya y la pesadilla del retorno. In Horacio Castellanos Moya: El diablo en el espejo (pp. 165–182). Valencia: Albatros.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Buchan Award for Excellence in Scholarship in Spanish, The Department of Romance Languages and Literatures. May 1, 2014
- Abreu Mendoza, Carlos (Principal). Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, Institutional (Higher Ed), $6560. (Submitted: December 1, 2015). Grant.
- Abreu Mendoza, Carlos (Principal). Mellon Dissertation Fellowship, Institute for the Study of the Americas, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Institutional (Higher Ed), $1500. (Submitted: May 1, 2011). Grant.
- Abreu Mendoza, Carlos (Principal). Dana B. Drake and Isabella Payne Cooper Dissertation Research Fellowship for Spanish, Department of Romance Languages and Literatures, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Institutional (Higher Ed), $3000. (Submitted: April 1, 2011). Grant.
- Abreu Mendoza, Carlos. Erasmus Scholarship, Institutional (Higher Ed). (Funded: September 2003 - June 2004). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Rincón Hispano Universitario
Modern Language Association Delegate Assembly
January 1, 2015-January 1, 2018
20th Annual Carolina Conferences on Romance Literatures
August 1, 2013-May 1, 2014
Reviewer / Referee
Revista Canadiense de Estudios Hispánicos
Reviewer / Referee
Hispanic Studies Review