Faculty Profile for Dr. David Dominguez Navarro
Biography and EducationM.A. and Ph.D. in Hispanic Studies from Western University (London, Ontario, Canada).
B.A. and M.A. in English Studies from University of Valladolid (Spain), and University College Dublin (Ireland).
Teaching InterestsIberian Literature and History
Spanish for the Professions
Research InterestsMedieval Iberian Literature and History; Religious Minorities of the Iberian Peninsula; Biblical Exegesis; Jewish-Christian relations; Judeo-Spanish, and Sephardic Diaspora. Medieval Jurisprudence. Dr. Navarro is currently working in collaboration with Dr. Yolanda Iglesias of University of Toronto (Canada) on Alphonso X of Castile’s legal compendium ‘Siete Partidas’ (Seven-Part Code).
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Navarro, D. D. (2020). [Review of Joseph Penso de Vega. La creación de un perfil cultural y literario entre Ámsterdam y Livorno, by P. Fernando Jose]. Sephardic Horizons.
- Navarro, D. D. (2020). [Review of Per una storia della Comunità ebraica di Livorno. Contributo bibliografico (1706-2019). In Nuovi Studi Livornesi XXV (1-2). Livorno, by F. Duccio]. Sephardic Horizons.
- Navarro, D. D. (n.d.). [Review of Viewing Disability in Medieval Spanish Texts: Disgraced or Graced, by C. Scarborough]. Arizona Journal of Hispanic Cultural Studies.
- Navarro, D. D. (n.d.). [Review of Jewish Poetry and Cultural Coexistence in Late Medieval Spain, by G. B. Kaplan]. Letras Hispanas: Revista de Literatura y Cultura.
- Navarro, D. D. (2020). “The Presence of Rabbinical Exegesis in the Account of the Flood in the General Estoria.” In Conflict and Collaboration in Medieval Iberia. Eds. Kim Bergqvist, and Anthony Lappin. England: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Texas State University - Sigma Delta Pi, Chapter Beta-Epsilon “Honor Chapter” Award for outstanding activities, Honorary Hispanic Society. August 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Lucy F. Lee Award as the chapter adviser for the Honorary Hispanic Society, Texas State University - Sigma Delta Pi, Chapter Epsilon-Beta, Honorary Hispanic Society. August 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Texas State University - Sigma Delta Pi, Chapter Beta-Epsilon “Honor Chapter” Award for outstanding activities, Honorary Hispanic Society. August 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: College of Liberal Arts Achievement Award for Excellence in Teaching, College of Liberal Arts. August 2018
- Award / Honor Nominee: College of Liberal Arts Nomination for Presidential Excellence Awards, College of Liberal Arts. April 2018
- Navarro, David Dominguez (Co-Principal), Beale-Rivaya, Yasmine (Co-Principal). ASPHS Grant (Association for Spanish and Portuguese Historical Studies), $ 500.00. Co-Principal with Dr. Yasmine Beale-Rivaya (Department of Global Languages and Literatures), Private / Foundation / Corporate, $500. (Funded: April 25, 2019). Grant.
- Navarro, David Dominguez (Co-Principal), Falocco, Joseph (Co-Principal). National Endowment for the Arts, Federal, $20000. (Funded: March 2017 - August 2017). Grant.
- Navarro, David (Co-Principal), Beale-Rivaya, Yasmine (Co-Principal). Forbidden Scriptures: Interreligious Exegesis in Medieval Spanish Historiography, Canadian Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council Canadian Humanities Fund (SSHRC), $64982. (Submitted: December 1, 2015, Funded: April 13, 2016 - Present). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Questionnaire and Official Documentation Translator
San Antonio Police Department (San Antonio, Texas, USA)
Proctor and Examiner
Spanish Exams for The City of New Braunfels Employees
November 12, 2018-Present
Sigma Delta Pi (Epsilon Beta Chapter)
Al Principio Magazine - Sigma Delta Pi Literature and Arts journal
Legal Documents Translator
Raices - Refugee and Immigration Center