Faculty Profile for Dr. Jennifer Forrest
Biography and EducationJennifer Forrest is professor of French at Texas State University. She is the author of Decadent Aesthetics and the Acrobat in Fin-de-Siècle France (Routledge 2019); co-editor of Dead Ringers: The Remake in Theory and Practice (SUNY 2002), the editor of The Legend Returns and Dies Harder Another Day: Essays on Film Series (McFarland 2008), and co-editor of the double-issue of Dix-Neuf (2017) Matter Pools: Fluidity and Containment in French Decadent Literature: Essays in Honour of Robert Ziegler. She is the author of articles on remakes, sequels, and film series. She is also the author of studies on French fin-de-siècle literature and popular mediums, in particular in their relation to the cult and culture of the circus.
Teaching InterestsLiterature: the Fantastic, the Science-Fiction Novel, the Graphic Novel, the Short Story; French Film History, Film Analysis; Civilization
Research InterestsDecadent Literature (France); the Circus in 19th-Century France; French Film; American Film ; Film and Television Remakes, Film Series, and Film Reboots
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Forrest, J. (n.d.). Hildegarde Withers Enters the Men’s Room: Getting Things Done Like a Woman in the Depression-Era Detective Film Series. Screen, 61(3), 1–9. https://doi.org/doi:10.1093/screen/hjaa044
- Forrest, J. (2020). From Ocean’s 11/Eleven to Ocean’s 8/Eight: Gender, Genre and the Reboot. In Film Reboots. Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom: Edinburgh University Press.
- Forrest, J. (2020, April). Nineteenth-Century French Studies. Retrieved from ncfs-journal.org/?q=node/1691
- Forrest, J. (n.d.). Re-forming La Maternelle: Social-Cultural Continuity and the Remake. In European Film Remakes. Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom: Edinburgh University Press.
- Forrest, J. (2019). Decadent Aesthetics and the Acrobat in Fin-de-Siècle France. London and New York, United Kingdom and United States: Routledge. Retrieved from https://www.routledge.com/Decadent-Aesthetics-and-the-Acrobat-in-French-Fin-de-siecle-1st-Edition/Forrest/p/book/9780367358143
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award in Teaching and Golden Apple Award, Texas State University. February 2019 - August 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: “Favorite Professor”, Alpha Chi National Honor Scholarship Society. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Development Leave, Texas State University. 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi National Honor Scholarship Society. 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi National Honor Scholarship Society. 2011
- Forrest, Jennifer. South Central Modern Language Association Travel Stipend, $750. (Funded: 2001). Grant.
- Forrest, Jennifer. Alkek Library Research Grant, $1424. (Funded: 2001). Grant.
- Forrest, Jennifer. Alkek Library Research Grant, $1041. (Funded: 1999). Grant.
- Forrest, Jennifer. Research Enhancement Grant, $8000. (Funded: 1997). Grant.
- Forrest, Jennifer. Research Enhancement Grant, $6000. (Funded: 1994). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Department Website Committee
Faculty Personnel Committee
La Table française (weekly lunch with students conducted in French)
French Section Committee
Le Ciné-club français