Faculty Profile for Dr. Jose Carlos de la Puente
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- de la Puente, J. C. (2021). Of Widows, Furrows, and Seed: New Perspectives on Land and the Colonial Andean Commons. The Hispanic American Historical Review, 101(3), 375–407.
- de la Puente, J. C. (2019). Calendars in Knotted Cords: New Evidence on How Khipus Captured Time in the Andes. Ethnohistory, 66(3), 437–464. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1215/00141801-7517868
- de la Puente, J. C. (2018). Andean Cosmopolitans: Seeking Justice and Reward at the Spanish Royal Court. Austin, TX, USA: University of Texas Press. https://doi.org/10.7560/314432
- Puente Luna, J. C. de la. (2015). That which Belongs to All: Khipus, Community, and Indigenous Legal Activism in the Early Colonial Andes. The Americas, 72(1), 19–54. https://doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/tam.2014.4
- Puente Luna, J. C. de la. (2014). The Many Tongues of the King: Indigenous Language Interpreters and the Making of the Spanish Empire. Colonial Latin American Review, 23(2), 143–170. https://doi.org/10.1080/10609164.2014.917545
- Award / Honor Recipient: Flora Tristán Book Prize, Peru Section of the Latin American Studies Association. March 7, 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: José María Arguedas Best Article Prize, Peru Section of the Latin American Studies Association. April 3, 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Tibesar Prize, Conference on Latin American History. 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Edwin Leiuwen Excellence in Teaching Award, Rocky Mountain Conference on Latin American Studies. March 18, 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: College of Liberal Arts Achievement Award for Excellence in Scholarly Activity, Texa State University. July 20, 2020
- de la Puente, Jose Carlos. Wilson Latin American Research Award, Center for International Studies, Texas State University, $1500. (Funded: March 3, 2019 - September 1, 2019). Grant.
- Puente Luna, José Carlos de la (Principal). Research Enhancement Grant Award, Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 1, 2016, Funded: June 1, 2017 - June 30, 2017). Grant.
- Puente Luna, José Carlos de la. Mendel Fellowship, Lilly Library, Indiana University, Institutional (Higher Ed), $1800. (Funded: December 21, 2016 - December 20, 2017). Grant.
- Puente Luna, José Carlos de la (Principal). National Endowment for the Humanities Faculty Grant, National Endowment for the Humanities, Federal, $50400. (Submitted: 2014). Grant.
- Puente Luna, José Carlos de la (Principal). Research Enhancement Grant Award, Texas State University. (Submitted: 2014). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
The Howard F. Cline Memorial Prize
January 26, 2017-October 15, 2017
Histórica. Special Issue "Indigenous Jurisdictions in New Spain and Peru"
The James Alexander Robertson Prize Committee of the Conference on Latin American History
December 2015-August 2016
Organizer, Host & Discussant
Southwest Seminar on Colonial Latin American History
October 22, 2015-October 24, 2015
Editorial Review Board Member
Ethnohistory. The Journal of the American Society for Ethnohistory
March 15, 2021-Present