Faculty Profile for Dr. Aimee Kendall Roundtree
Biography and EducationDr. Roundtree earned her Ph.D. from the University of Texas at Austin. She has served as a usability and qualitative researcher, communication and public affairs specialist, and and medical writer, for organizations such as the Texas Medical Foundation, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Baylor College of Medicine, and Air Combat Command at Langley Air Force Base.
Teaching InterestsDr. Roundtree teaches STEM and medical communication and writing; social and digital media; web publishing and accessibility; visual design; professional and technical communication; and research methods, including qualitative and user experience research.
Research InterestsDr. Roundtree's research investigates communication in STEM fields, including science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and medicine. In particular, her work interrogates points of translation and transaction between experts, policymakers, organizations, and the public, as well as human and non-human agents. She has expertise in qualitative and mixed methods research, including usability testing, heuristic evaluation, text mining, survey studies, focus groups, and interviews. She is the Associate Dean of Research in the College of Liberal Arts; Director of the Master of Arts in Technical Communication; Associate Editor of Book Reviews for IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication; the Social Media Officer for the Association of Research, Science, Technology and Medicine; Review Board Member of the Writing Across the Curriculum Clearinghouse and Technical Communication Quarterly; and the President of the American Communication Association.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Ramos, S., Roundtree, A. K., Schepis, T., Haskard Zolnierek, K. B., & DuBois, S. (2019). A Qualitative Approach Towards Understanding HIV-Related Stress in Texas. Texas Medicine. Retrieved from https://www.texmed.org/Aug19Journal/
- Roundtree, A. K. (2019). User Experiences of Incident Reporting Software in Fire Services: An Integrative Review and Meta-Analysis. In HCI in Business, Government and Organizations: Information Systems and Analytics. Switzerland: Springer. Retrieved from https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783030223373
- Roundtree, A. K. (2019, February). Book Review, David Kmiec and Bernadette Longo [Review of The IEEE Guide to Writing in the Engineering and Technical Fields, by D. Kmiec and B. Longo]. IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPC.2019.2895181
- Williams, M. F., & Roundtree, A. (n.d.). Diversity & Inclusion in Academic Program Development and Faculty Recruitment: An Interview with Dr. Libby Allison. In Cuentos and Testimonies: Diversity and Inclusion at Texas State University. Texas State University.
- Roundtree, A. K. (2018). Hospital Tweets on H1N1 and Death Panels: Text Mining the Situational Crisis Communication Response to Health Crises and Controversies. KOME Journal of Pure Communication Inquiry, 6(1), 32–62.
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award. 2018 - 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Golden Apple Award for Service. 2018 - 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professors for Fall 2018, Alpha Chi Academic Honors Fraternity. November 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Texas State University Quarterly Team Award. November 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Texas State College of Fine Arts Research Weekend. 2016
- Roundtree, Aimee Kendall (Other), Close, Hunter G (Other), Zong, Ziliang (Other), Collins, Kristina Henry, Kim, MiHyun, Guirguis, Mina S. Coding Across the Disciplines: Computer Science Collaborative in Texas, WeTeach CS Program at UT Austin’s Center for STEM Education, Institutional (Higher Ed), $100000. (Submitted: January 9, 2017, Funded: January 13, 2017 - August 15, 2017). Grant.
- Zong, Ziliang (Principal), Roundtree, Aimee (Co-Principal), Collins, Kristina Henry (Co-Principal). Building Capacity and Partnerships for Improving K-12 Computer Science Education, Texas State University, $2500. (Funded: August 2016 - July 2017). Grant.
- Roundtree, Aimee Kendall. Narrative and Reporting to Improve Fire Services, State Farm, Insurance Community Grant, $20000. (Funded: 2016). Grant.
- Farris, Kristen Nacole LeBlanc (Supporting), Fox, Rebekah L (Principal), Roundtree, Aimee Kendall (Co-Principal). Bridging the Classroom and the Clinic: Communication Skills Training for Certified Nursing Assistants, Texas State University, Texas State University, $16000. (Funded: 2015). Grant.
- Roundtree, Aimee Kendall (Principal). Student Success in the MSPWTC Program, Organized Research Grant, University of Houston-Downtown, $3000. (Funded: 2010). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Faculty Development Advisory Committee meeting
MATC Search Committee
Race, Ethnicity, Place Conference, Geography Dept.
Strategic Plan for Research Update Committee