Faculty Profile for Dr. Victoria L Smith
Biography and EducationPh.D., History of Consciousness, University of California, Santa Cruz
M.A., English, University of Texas, Austin
B.A., English, Pomona College
Teaching InterestsFeminist and Literary Theory, Queer Studies, Film, Twentieth Century British and American Women novelists
Research InterestsFeminist Theory, Queer Studies, Twentieth Century Women Writers—particularly modernists, Classic and Contemporary Hollywood film, Cultural Studies
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Smith, V. L. (2015). “Highways of Desolation: The Road and Trash in Boys Don’t Cry and Monster.” South Central Review, 32(2), 131–150.
- Smith, V. L. (2011). “Our Serial Killers, Our Superheroes, and Ourselves: Showtime’s Dexter.” QRVF: Quarterly Review of Film and Video, (28.4), 390–400.
- Smith, V. L. (2006). “Ransacking the Language”: Finding the Missing Goods in Virginia Woolf’s Orlando”. Journal of Modern Literature., (29), 57–75.
- Smith, V. L. (1999). “A Story beside(s) Itself: The Language of Loss in Djuna Barnes’s Nightwood.” PMLA, (114), 194–206.
- Smith, V. L. (2018). “The Heterotopias of Todd Haynes: Creating Space for Same Sex Desire in Carol.” Film Criticism, 42(1). https://doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/10.3998/fc.13761232.0042.102
- Award / Honor Recipient: Signma Tau Delta Outstanding Professor. 2016
- Award / Honor Nominee: English Dept. Nominee Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching. 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Liberal Arts Dean’s Award in Teaching. 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alpha Chi National College Honor Society “Favorite Professor”. 2013
- Award / Honor Recipient: Sigma Tau Delta Outstanding Professor. 2013
Selected Service Activities
Department of English
September 1, 2019-Present
Advanced Studies Committee
September 1, 2003-September 1, 2019
Honor Code Council
January 1, 2017-June 1, 2019
Liberal Arts Curriculum Committee
September 1, 2017-May 2019
U.S. Women Writers Search Committee
September 1, 2014-April 1, 2015