Faculty Profile for Dr. Octavio Pimentel
Biography and EducationDr. Octavio Pimentel joined the Masters in Rhetoric and Composition Program in The Department of English at Texas State University in 2005. He has taught various classes in the rhetoric and composition field, including first-year composition courses, advanced composition, technical writing, as well as critical graduate courses that encompass issues of minority languages, rhetoric, and writing. Critically trained in rhetoric, writing, and education, Dr. Pimentel combines these fields while addressing critical issues of minoritized individuals in the composition field.
Since his arrival at Texas State University, Dr. Pimentel has and continues to publish extensively. Dr. Pimentel has authored and co-authored 5 books: Cuentos and Testimonies II: Students' Voices, Inclusion, & Anti-Racism is scheduled to be published; Cuentos & Testimonies: Diversity & Inclusion at Texas State University; Racial Shorthand: Racial Discrimination Contested in Social Media; Historias de Éxito within Mexican Communities: Silenced Voices; and Communicating Race, Ethnicity, and Identity in Technical Communication.
Dr. Pimentel also has more than 30 articles published including his last two articles “The Push for the 1974 Statement…Once again” (Symposium on Black Lives Matter and Antiracist Projects in Writing Program Administration: WPA Journal, Fall 2021). and “Dandole Gas: Un Profe con Sangre del Fil” (Cross-Talking With An American Academic of Color: Essays in Honor of Victor Villanueva), which is scheduled to be published in 2022.
Dr. Pimentel has presented in over 40 national and international conferences, and has won several awards for his scholarship. In the Fall 2015, Dr. Pimentel was nominated by the Department of English for the Presidential Distinction Award for Scholarship. In 2014-2015 Dr. Pimentel also won the Texas State University Excellence in Diversity Award Committee. Dr. Pimentel also serves on the Editorial Board for the CCC (College Composition and Communication) Journal, TCQ (Technical Communication Quarterly), Journal of Business and Technical Communication and College English.
Research InterestsRhetoric and Composition, Latinx Discourse, and Literacy
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Pimentel, O. (n.d.). Dandole Gas: Un Profe con Sangre del Fil. In Cross-Talking With An American Academic of Color: Essays in Honor of Victor Villanueva.
- Pimentel, O. (2021). The Push for the 1974 Statement…Once again.”. Symposium on Black Lives Matter and Antiracist Projects in Writing Program Administration: WPA Journal.
- Pimentel, O., & Williams, M. F. (Eds.). (2021). Cuentos and Testimonies II: Students’ Voices, Inclusion, & Anti-Racism. San Marcos, Texas, United States: Texas State University.
- Pimentel, O., & Jimenez, J. (2021). Conversation Between a Prospective Student and a Texas State Professor: Empowering Students of Color. In Cuentos and Testimonies II: Students’ Voices, Inclusion, & Anti-Racism.
- Pimentel, O. (2019). “¡No Escondan el Nopal! Tus Raices son Obvias!” In Cuentos & Testimonies: Diversity & Inclusion at Texas State University. San Marcos, Texas, USA: Texas State University. Retrieved from https://www.provost.txstate.edu/cuentos-and-testimonies
- Award / Honor Recipient: Thomas Watson Conference on Rhetoric and Composition, Keynote Speaker. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Gamma Zeta Alpha 30 Year Gala, Honored Speaker. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Watson Pre Meeting, Keynote Speaker. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activities, College of Liberal Arts, Texas State University. 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Best Original Collection of Essays in Technical or Scientific Communication, Conference on College Composition and Communication. 2016
Selected Service Activities
Cuentos and Testimonies Journal
Technical Communication Hiring Committee
College Review Board
Editorial Review Board Member
Journal of Business and Technical Communication
Editorial Review Board Member
Technical Communication Quarterly