Faculty Profile for Dr. Octavio Pimentel
Biography and EducationDr. Octavio Pimentel joined the Masters in Rhetoric and Composition Program in The Department of English at Texas State University in 2005. He has taught various classes in the rhetoric and composition field, including first-year composition courses, advanced composition, technical writing, as well as critical graduate courses that encompass issues of minority languages, rhetoric, and writing. Critically trained in rhetoric, writing, and education, Dr. Pimentel combines these fields while addressing critical issues of minoritized individuals in the composition field.
Since his arrival at Texas State University, Dr. Pimentel has and continues to publish extensively (close to 30 articles), as well as 4 book: Cuentos & Testimonies: Diversity & Inclusion at Texas State Universitys (Texas State University 2019), Racial Shorthand: Racial Discrimination Contested in Social Media, with Cruz Medina, (University Press of Colorado, 2018), Historias de Éxito within Mexican Communities: Silenced Voices (Palgrave Macmillan, 2015), and Communicating Race, Ethnicity, and Identity in Technical Communication, with Miriam F. Williams, which won the 2016 Technical and Scientific Communication Award for Best Collection of Essays National Book Award (Baywood Press, 2014). Currently, Dr. Pimentel is working on his fourth book, Cuentos & Testimonies: Diversity and Inclusion at Texas State, with Miriam F. Williams, which is scheduled to be published in the Fall 2018 by Texas State University.
Since 2005, Dr. Pimentel has presented in over 30 national and international conferences, and he has won several awards for his scholarship. Most recently, in the Fall 2015, Dr. Pimentel was nominated by the Department of English for the Presidential Distinction Award for Scholarship. In 2014-2015 Dr. Pimentel also won the Texas State University Excellence in Diversity Award Committee. Currently, Dr. Pimentel serves on the Editorial Board for the CCC (College Composition and Communication) Journal and TCQ (Technical Communication Quarterly). He also serves on the AP English Exam National Committee. Lastly, Dr. Pimentel was the Keynote Speaker at the 2018 Watson Conference in Louisville, Kentucky.
Research InterestsRhetoric and Composition, Latinx Discourse, and Literacy
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Pimentel, O., & Williams, M. F. (Eds.). (2019). Cuentos & Testimonies: Diversity & Inclusion at Texas State University. San Marcos, Texas, United States: Texas State University. Retrieved from https://www.provost.txstate.edu/cuentos-and-testimonies
- Pimentel, O. (2019). “¡No Escondan el Nopal! Tus Raices son Obvias!” In Cuentos & Testimonies: Diversity & Inclusion at Texas State University. San Marcos, Texas, USA: Texas State University. Retrieved from https://www.provost.txstate.edu/cuentos-and-testimonies
- Medina, C. (2018). Racial Shorthand: Coded Discrimination Contested in Social Media. (O. Pimentel, Eds.). Computers and Composition Digital Press.
- Pimentel, O. (2018). Not the King: Cantando el Himno Nacional de los Estados Unidos. In Racial Shorthand: Coded Discrimination Contested in Social Media. Computers and Composition Digital Press.
- Pimentel, O. (2018). It’s Time to Hear Me! I Mean Really Hear Me! In Making Futures Matter. Online.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Thomas Watson Conference on Rhetoric and Composition, Keynote Speaker. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Gamma Zeta Alpha 30 Year Gala, Honored Speaker. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Watson Pre Meeting, Keynote Speaker. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activities, College of Liberal Arts, Texas State University. 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Best Original Collection of Essays in Technical or Scientific Communication, Conference on College Composition and Communication. 2016
Selected Service Activities
Hiring Committee (MATC)
Reviewer / Referee
2020 CCCC Outstanding Book/Article Award Selection Committee for Technical Communication
Editorial Review Board Member
August 1, 2018-Present
Editorial Review Board Member
Technical Communication Quarterly
January 1, 2018-Present
Sub-Committee of the Rhetoric and Writing Committee