Faculty Profile for Dr. Debra F Monroe
Biography and EducationI have won 11 teaching awards in my time at Texas State University, including the Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching. I am also the recipient of the Graduate College Mentoring Award, due to the sheer volume of work published by students who wrote it under my direction. I am the author of 6 books: 2 story collections, 2 novels, and 2 memoirs. I am also the the editor of the well-known teaching anthology, Contemporary Creative Nonficiton. My books have been widely reviewed and won many awards, including The Flannery O’Connor Award for Fiction. My writing has appeared in national venues, including the New York Times, The American Scholar, Salon, Longreads, The Gettsyburg Review, The Rumpus, and more. I teach in the MFA Program in Creative Writing, and 27 former thesis students have published books that grew out of their theses. I also teach undergraduate classes in the English Department and in the Honors College.
Research Interestshistory & theory of the novel; narratology
20th century British literature
intertextual critical theory
rhetoric and rhetorical critical theory
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Monroe, D. F. (n.d.). Contemporary Creative Nonfiction: An Anthology. Dubuque, IA: Kendall-Hunt Higher Ed.
- Monroe, D. F. (n.d.). A History and Theory of the Genre. In Contemporary Creative Nonfiction: An Anthology. Dubuque, IA: Kendall-Hunt Higher Ed.
- Monroe, D. (2017). My Unsentimental Education. Athens, Georgia: University of Georgia Press.
- Monroe, D. (n.d.). Transit: 1986. In Flash: Writing the Very Short Story. New York, NY, United States: W.W. Norton.
- Monroe, D. (2016, September 11). Trouble In Mind. The Rumpus: Arts & Culture. San Francisco, CA. Retrieved from http://therumpus.net/2016/09/the-sunday-rumpus-essay-trouble-in-mind/
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alpha Chi Favorite Professors for 2018, Alpha Chi National Honor Society. November 9, 2018
- Award / Honor Nominee: Department Nominee for Graduate College Mentoring Award, Graduate College. October 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Outstanding Alumni Lifetime Achievement Award, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. December 16, 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Notable Essay in *Best American Essays 2017*, Houghton Mifflin's *Best American Essays of 2017*. October 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Best Books of 2015 (My Unsentimental Education), Dallas Morning News. December 30, 2015
Selected Service Activities
Wrote 21 letters of recommendation
Mentoring Committee for Tenure-Track Faculty
August 1, 2014-December 2018
Reviewer / Referee
Texas Tech University English Department
June 5, 2018-August 6, 2018
Providing a book jacket endorsement
Blue Cactus Press
May 25, 2018-June 3, 2018