Faculty Profile for Dr. Katie Kapurch
Biography and EducationKatie Kapurch, Ph.D. is Associate Professor of English at Texas State University. As a scholar of the Beatles and other pop culture phenomena, she explores issues of gender, sexuality, and race, especially in texts related to youth.
Research InterestsThe Beatles, Youth Culture, Melodrama, Fairy Tales, Mermaids, Popular Music, Victorian Literature and Culture
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Kapurch, K., & Smith, J. M. (2019). A Fear So Real: Bruce Springsteen, David Lynch, and Film Noir. Interdisciplinary Literary Studies: A Journal of Criticism and Theory, 89–108.
- Kapurch, K. (2019, September 27). “She’s So Heavy” at 50: From Billy Preston to Blac Rabbit. CultureSonar. Retrieved from https://www.culturesonar.com/shes-so-heavy-at-50-from-billy-preston-to-blac-rabbit/
- Kapurch, K. (2019, June 8). “Old Town Road”’s Pop Outlaws: Lil Nas X Remixes the Mac-and-Jack Hustle. CultureSonar. Retrieved from https://www.culturesonar.com/old-town-roads-pop-outlaws-lil-nas-x-remixes-the-mac-and-jack-hustle/
- Kapurch, K. (2019, May 11). Blac Rabbit: Turning on the Beatles Today. CultureSonar. Retrieved from https://www.culturesonar.com/blac-rabbit-turning-on-the-beatles-today/
- Kapurch, K., & Smith, J. M. (2018). Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, and Something Blue: The Make-Do Girl of Cinderella (2015). In M. C. Kearney & M. Blue (Eds.), Mediated Girlhoods: New Explorations of Girls’ Media Culture, Volume 2 (Vol. 2, pp. 67–83). Peter Lang.
- Award / Honor Nominee: Gustave O. Arlt Award, Council of Graduate Schools. January 31, 2018 - December 2018
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Excellence Award: Scholarly, College of Liberal Arts, Texas State University. February 1, 2018 - July 2018
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Excellence Award: Scholarly, Department of English, Texas State University. November 1, 2017 - February 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: College of Liberal Arts Achievement Award for Scholarly Excellence, College of Liberal Arts, Texas State University. August 2016
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Excellence Award: Scholarly, Department of English, Texas State University. November 1, 2015
- Kapurch, Katie (Principal). Awards for Faculty at Hispanic-Serving Institutions, National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH), Federal, $60000. (Submitted: April 2018, Funded: January 2020 - December 2020). Grant.
- Kapurch, Katie (Principal). Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University. (Submitted: October 2016, Funded: January 2017 - September 2017). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Editorial Review Board Member
AMP: American Music Perspectives
Meetings to discuss Children's Literature hire
Sophomore Literature Committee
August 1, 2017-Present
Professional Support for Junior Colleagues
January 1, 2017-Present
Therese Kayser Lindsey Literary Series Committee