Faculty Profile for Dr. Katie Kapurch
Biography and EducationKatie Kapurch, Ph.D. is Associate Professor of English at Texas State University. As a scholar of the Beatles and other pop culture phenomena, she explores issues of gender, sexuality, and race, especially in texts related to youth.
Research InterestsThe Beatles, Youth Culture, Melodrama, Fairy Tales, Mermaids, Popular Music, Victorian Literature and Culture
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Kapurch, K. (2020). The Beatles, Fashion, and Cultural Iconography. In K. Womack (Ed.), The Beatles in Context. Cambridge UP.
- Kapurch, K. (2020, May 18). Astrid Kirchherr: What She Taught the Beatles. CultureSonar. Retrieved from https://www.culturesonar.com/astrid-kirchherr-what-she-taught-the-beatles/
- Kapurch, K. (2020, May 16). Martha Wash’s “Love and Conflict” – The Album for 2020. CultureSonar. Retrieved from https://www.culturesonar.com/martha-washs-love-and-conflict-the-album-for-2020/
- Kapurch, K. (2020, April 17). “Photograph”- We Are All Ringo Now. CultureSonar. Retrieved from https://www.culturesonar.com/photograph-we-are-all-ringo-now/
- Kapurch, K. (2020, March 30). The Paul McCartney Song We Need Right Now. CultureSonar. Retrieved from https://www.culturesonar.com/the-paul-mccartney-song-we-need-right-now/
- Award / Honor Nominee: Gustave O. Arlt Award, Council of Graduate Schools. January 31, 2018 - December 2018
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Excellence Award: Scholarly, College of Liberal Arts, Texas State University. February 1, 2018 - July 2018
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Excellence Award: Scholarly, Department of English, Texas State University. November 1, 2017 - February 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: College of Liberal Arts Achievement Award for Scholarly Excellence, College of Liberal Arts, Texas State University. August 2016
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Excellence Award: Scholarly, Department of English, Texas State University. November 1, 2015
- Kapurch, Katie (Principal). Awards for Faculty at Hispanic-Serving Institutions, National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH), Federal, $60000. (Submitted: April 2018, Funded: January 2020 - December 2020). Grant.
- Kapurch, Katie (Principal). Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University. (Submitted: October 2016, Funded: January 2017 - September 2017). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Editorial Review Board Member
AMP: American Music Perspectives
Meetings to discuss Children's Literature hire
Sophomore Literature Committee
August 1, 2017-Present
Professional Support for Junior Colleagues
January 1, 2017-Present
Therese Kayser Lindsey Literary Series Committee