Faculty Profile for Dr. Katie Kapurch
Biography and EducationKatie Kapurch, Ph.D. is Associate Professor of English at Texas State University. As a scholar of the Beatles and other pop culture phenomena, she explores issues of gender, sexuality, and race, especially in texts related to youth.
Research InterestsThe Beatles, Youth Culture, Melodrama, Fairy Tales, Mermaids, Popular Music, Victorian Literature and Culture
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Kapurch, K. (2020). “The Beatles, Fashion, and Cultural Iconography.” In K. Womack (Ed.), The Beatles in Context (pp. 247–259). Cambridge UP.
- Kapurch, K., & Smith, J. M. (2020). “Blackbird Fly: Paul McCartney’s Legend, Billy Preston’s Gospel, and Lead Belly’s Blues.” Interdisciplinary Literary Studies, 22, 5–30.
- Kapurch, K., & Everett, W. (2020). “ “If You Become Naked”: Sexual Honesty on the Beatles’ WHITE ALBUM". Rock Music Studies, 209–225. https://doi.org/10.1080/19401159.2020.1792193
- Kapurch, K. (2020, August 30). “Arising to this Moment: Bettye LaVette’s BLACKBIRDS.” CultureSonar. Retrieved from https://www.culturesonar.com/arising-to-this-moment-bettye-lavettes-blackbirds/
- Kapurch, K. (2020, May 18). “Astrid Kirchherr: What She Taught the Beatles.” CultureSonar. Retrieved from https://www.culturesonar.com/astrid-kirchherr-what-she-taught-the-beatles/
- Award / Honor Nominee: Gustave O. Arlt Award, Council of Graduate Schools. January 31, 2018 - December 2018
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Excellence Award: Scholarly, College of Liberal Arts, Texas State University. February 1, 2018 - July 2018
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Excellence Award: Scholarly, Department of English, Texas State University. November 1, 2017 - February 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: College of Liberal Arts Achievement Award for Scholarly Excellence, College of Liberal Arts, Texas State University. August 2016
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Excellence Award: Scholarly, Department of English, Texas State University. November 1, 2015
- Kapurch, Katie (Principal). Awards for Faculty at Hispanic-Serving Institutions, National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH), Federal, $60000. (Submitted: April 2018, Funded: January 2020 - December 2020). Grant.
- Kapurch, Katie. Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 2020, Funded: December 2020 - Present). Grant.
- Kapurch, Katie (Principal). Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University. (Submitted: October 2016, Funded: January 2017 - September 2017). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Editorial Review Board Member
AMP: American Music Perspectives
Faculty Recognition Day
Therese Kayser Lindsey Literary Series Committee
Professional Support for Junior Colleagues
January 1, 2015-Present
MA Literature Exams