Faculty Profile for Mr. Cyrus Cassells III
Biography and EducationI am the author of eight books of poetry (six published and two forthcoming), which have garnered several awards, including the Lannan Literary Award and the Lambda Literary Award. In 2019 I published a book of translations of Catalan poet Francesc Parcerisas. I am a Pulitzer-Prize nominated cultural critic for The Washington Spectator. I have been an English professor at Texas State for 21 years. January 2017 marked the 30th anniversary of my teaching career at the college level. I am currently a Guggenheim Fellow in Poetry.
Research InterestsClassical and Mediterranean History, African-American History and Culture, Catalan, French, and Italian language and culture, Human Rights issues, Spirituality
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Cassells, C. (n.d.). The World That The Shooter Left Us. New York, NY, United States: Four Way Books. Retrieved from https://fourwaybooks.com/site/
- Cassells, C. (2020). More Than Watchmen at Daybreak. Syracuse, NY, US: Nine Mile Art Corporation.
- Cassells, C. (2019, December 30). “Altitude.” Academy of American Poets Poem-A-Day. New York, NY, United States: Academy of American Poets. Retrieved from https://poets.org/poem/altitude-0
- Cassells, C. C. (Trans.). (2019). Still Life With Children: Selected Poems of Francesc Parcerisas. Nacogdoches, Texas, United States: Stephen F. Austin State University Press. Retrieved from www.sfasu.edu/sfapress/
- Cassells, C. (2018). The Gospel according to Wild Indigo: Poems. Carbondale, Illinois, U. S.: Southern Illinois University Press.
- Award / Honor Nominee: Texas State Artist-Poet Laureate, http://www.arts.texas.gov/initiatives/texas-state-artist/. December 2020 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Soeurette Diehl Fraser Award for Best Translated Book of 2018-2019 for Still Life with Children: Selected Poems of Francesc Parcerisas, Texas Institute of Letters. December 2019 - March 2020
- Award / Honor Nominee: Pulitzer Prize for Criticism, Pulitzer Prize Committee. January 2019 - April 2019
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Excellence Award, English Department nominee, Texas State University. December 2020 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Induction into the Texas Institute of Letters, Texas Institute of Letters. January 2020 - Present
- Cassells, Cyrus (Principal). 2019 Guggenheim Fellowship, John Simon Guggenheim Foundation, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $55000. (Submitted: September 17, 2018, Funded: January 7, 2020 - July 2020). Grant.
- Cassells, Cyrus C.. Two-Week Resident Poetry Fellowship in Taos, New mexico, Mabel Dodge Luhan Foundation, $400.00. (Funded: January 1, 2019 - January 15, 2019). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
William Merwin Conservancy Residency Planning Committee
Texas Institute of Letters: Dobie-Paisano Resident Fellowship
Editorial Review Board Member
Nine Mile Magazine
Jury for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize in Poetry
May 2017-December 2021
September 2020-May 2021