Faculty Profile for Cyrus Cassells III
Biography and EducationI am the author of eight books of poetry (six published and two forthcoming), which have garnered several awards, including the Lannan Literary Award and the Lambda Literary Award. In 2019 I published a book of translations of Catalan poet Francesc Parcerisas. I am a Pulitzer-Prize nominated cultural critic for The Washington Spectator. I have been an English professor at Texas State for 21 years. January 2017 marked the 30th anniversary of my teaching career at the college level. I am currently a Guggenheim Fellow in Poetry.
Research InterestsClassical and Mediterranean History, African-American History and Culture, Catalan, French, and Italian language and culture, Human Rights issues, Spirituality
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Cassells, C. (n.d.). The World That The Shooter Left Us. New York, NY, United States: Four Way Books. Retrieved from https://fourwaybooks.com/site/
- Cassells, C. (2019, December 30). “Altitude.” Academy of American Poets Poem-A-Day. New York, NY, United States: Academy of American Poets. Retrieved from https://poets.org/poem/altitude-0
- Cassells, C. C. (Trans.). (2019). Still Life With Children: Selected Poems of Francesc Parcerisas. Nacogdoches, Texas, United States: Stephen F. Austin State University Press. Retrieved from www.sfasu.edu/sfapress/
- Cassells, C. (2018). The Gospel according to Wild Indigo: Poems. Carbondale, Illinois, U. S.: Southern Illinois University Press.
- Cassells, C. (n.d.). Is There Room For Another Horse on Your Horse Ranch? New York, NY, United States: Four Way Books. Retrieved from https://fourwaybooks.com/site/
- Award / Honor Nominee: Pulitzer Prize for Criticism, Pulitzer Prize Committee. January 2019 - April 2019
- Award / Honor Nominee: Best of the Net Anthology, Best of the Net. September 2019 - February 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Antelope Valley High School Hall of Fame induction, Antelope Valley High School, Lancaster, California. August 2019 - September 27, 2019
- Award / Honor Nominee: 2019 National Poetry Series, National Poetry Series. June 2019 - August 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Excellence in Creative Writing and Criticism Award, College of Liberal Arts, Texas State University. April 2019 - May 2019
- Cassells, Cyrus (Principal). 2019 Guggenheim Fellowship, John Simon Guggenheim Foundation, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $55000. (Submitted: September 17, 2018, Funded: January 7, 2020 - July 2020). Grant.
- Cassells, Cyrus C.. Two-Week Resident Poetry Fellowship in Taos, New mexico, Mabel Dodge Luhan Foundation, $400.00. (Funded: January 1, 2019 - January 15, 2019). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Editorial Review Board Member
Nine Mile Magazine
Jury for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize in Poetry
May 2017-May 2021
The Washington Spectator
February 2019-April 2020
January 2017-December 2019
American Literary Review
September 2019-September 2019