Faculty Profile for Dr. Richard A Earl
Biography and EducationI spent my first 20 years living in San Pedro, CA, the port city for Los Angeles. After two years in the U.S. Army, I completed my bachelors at UCLA and masters at Cal St. Northridge. I earned by Ph.D. in Physical Geography at Arizona State University. Prior to coming to Texas State University in 1991, I taught at New Mexico State University and Bowling Green State University, OH.
Teaching InterestsPhysical Geography, Geomorphology, Water Resources, Environmental Studies
Research InterestsStream Processes, environmental change, water resources
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Earl, R. A. (2018). Aden Lava Flow Dona Ana County, NM. In New Mexico Geological Society Guidebook, 69th Field Conference: Las Cruces Country III (Vol. 69, pp. 197–202). New Mexico Geological Society.
- Earl, R. A. (2018). Precipitation to Peak Streamflow Relationships on Headwater Streams in the Texas Hill Country. Geographical Bulletin, 59, 87–102. Retrieved from n/a
- De Hon, R. A., & Earl, R. A. (2018). Reassesment of Features in the Aden Crater Lava Flows, Dona Ana Co., New Mexico. New Mexico Geology, 40, 17–26.
- Earl, R. A. (2017, March). Water Budget. In International Encylclopedia of Geography (Vol. XIV, pp. 706–709). Wiley Blackwell.
- Earl, R. A., Shelton Thomas, & Flores-Ortiz Harrison. (2016). Field Trip Road Guide: Texas Gulf Coast:Port Aransas and Corpus Christi/.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor Award, Alpha Chi Honor Society. January 1, 2015 - May 1, 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Faculty Advisor, Presidential Honors Chapter, Gamma Theta Upsilon, Internaitonal Geography Honor Society. August 1, 2014 - May 1, 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Richard Wayne Simmons Geography Advocate Award, Dept. of Geography, Texas State University. August 1, 2014 - May 1, 2015
Selected Service Activities
Technical Advisory Board, Hill Country Alliance
Reviewer / Referee
Board of Directors, Upper San Marcos Watershed Flood Control District
January 1, 2003-Present
Reviewer / Referee
Papers in Applied Geography
Dept. of Geography Undergraduate Committee
September 1, 1998-Present