Faculty Profile for Dr. Monica Lynn Schoch-Spana
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Schoch-Spana, M. L., Brunson, E. K., Chandler, H. C., Gronvall, G. K., Ravi, S., Sell, T. K., & Shearer, M. P. (2018). Anticipated Communication Dilemmas Involving Medical Countermeasures in an Emergency. Public Health Reports, 133(4), 366–378.
- Sell, T. K., Shearer, M. P., Meyer, D., Schoch-Spana, M. L., Thomas, E., Rose, D. A., … Toner, E. (2018). Public health resilience checklist for high consequence infectious diseases – informed by the domestic Ebola response in the United States. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, 24(6), 510–518. https://doi.org/doi: 10.1097/PHH.0000000000000787
- Daugherty Biddison, E. L., Faden, R., Gwon, H. S., Regenberg, A. C., Mareiniss, D. P., Schoch-Spana, M. L., … Toner, E. S. (2018). Too many patients…A framework to guide statewide allocation of scarce mechanical ventilation during disasters. Chest, (pii: S0012-3692). https://doi.org/doi: 10.1016/j.chest.2018.09.025
- Schoch-Spana, M. L. (2018, August 30). Cracked tooth, cracked system: Why US dental care needs pulling. Baltimore Sun. Retrieved from http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-op-0831-cracked-tooth-20180830-story.html
- Buddemeier, B., Levin, R., Musolino, S., Pasquale, D., & Schoch-Spana, M. L. (2018). How prepared are the public and responders for nuclear terrorism? Health Physics, 114, 153–157.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alpha Chi Favorite Professor for 2015. November 1, 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Department of Anthropology Fellowship Award, School of Arts and Sciences, Johns Hopkins University. 1995 - 1996
- Award / Honor Recipient: Department of Anthropology Fellowship Award, School of Arts and Sciences, Johns Hopkins University. 1989 - 1991
- Award / Honor Recipient: Graduated magna cum laude, with Honors in Anthropology, Bryn Mawr College. 1986
- Schoch-Spana, Monica Lynn (Principal). Mass Population Displacement after Nuclear Terrorism: How to Hasten & Strengthen the Recovery of Uprooted, FEMA; Gryphon Scientific (C), $20000. (Funded: 2013). Grant.
- Schoch-Spana, Monica Lynn. Center for the History of Business, Technology, and Society Grant, Hagley Museum and Library. (Funded: 1996). Grant.
- Schoch-Spana, Monica Lynn. Summer Research Travel Grant Johns Hopkins University Program in Atlantic History, Culture and Society. (Funded: 1989). Grant.
- Schoch-Spana, Monica Lynn. Lita Osmundsen Summer Fieldwork Fund Grant, Johns Hopkins University Department of Anthropology. (Funded: 1989). Grant.
- Links, Jonathon (Principal), Inglesby, Thomas (Co-Principal), Kendra, James (Co-Principal), Schoch-Spana, Monica Lynn (Supporting). Enhancement and Development of a Stakeholder-focused Production Environment for the Composite of Post-Event Well-being (COPEWELL) – A Dynamic Model of Community Functioning and Resilience, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Federal, $2899881.00. (Funded: August 15, 2017 - August 14, 2020). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Roundtable on Risk, Resilience, and Extreme Events, National Academies of Science, Engineering, and Medicine
January 1, 2019-Present
Editorial Board Membership-Associate Editor
Homeland Security Subcommittee of the US Environmental Protection Agency’s Board of Scientific Counselors
Reviewer / Referee
International Journal of Health Policy and Management
Roundtable on Risk, Resilience, and Extreme Events, National Research Council,
January 2017-December 2018