Faculty Profile for Dr. Pamela Ann Willson
Biography and EducationDr. Pamela Willson, PhD, APRN, FNP-BC, CNE, NE-BC, FAANP
Dr. Willson joined Texas State from being the Director of Education for the Parkinson’s Disease Research, Education and Clinical Center at the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center, and faculty at Prairie View A&M University and Baylor College of Medicine, Neurology Department. She received her PhD from Texas Woman’s University. She has taught APRNs for 33 years, directed FNP programs, and incorporated interprofessional telemedicine into the curriculum. Her clinical practice and research focuses on motor disorders, telehealth, and self-management. Current scholarship includes book chapters, presentations, journal articles; she is Co-PI for a grant proposal entitled: Preparing the way for the future of nursing education in Texas" that will investigate the effectiveness of RN nurse residency programs in Texas.
Teaching InterestsLeadership and Administration in Nursing; Nurse Practitioner specialty courses; Research and Evidence-based courses
Research InterestsAdvanced Practice Nurse Outcomes; Telemedicine; Health Policy of Homeless Shelters; Social Determinants of Health; Concept Based Curriculum; RN Residency Programs
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Tufano, V. E., Dolan, D. M., & Willson, P. A. (n.d.). A Systematic Review: Instruments to Measure Educator Retention Concepts. Nursing Education Perspectives.
- Willson, P. A., & Lee, S. K. (2020). Human Trafficking: What to Ask and Who to Tell? OpenTuYu. Retrieved from http://opentuyu.com/2020/01/29/human-trafficking/
- Lee, S. K., & Willson, P. (2019). Ch 4: Community Assessment Part 1: Shoeleather /Windshield Survey and Key Informant Interview. In Case Studies in Public Health Nursing. MO, USA: Elsevier.
- Lee, S., & Willson, P. (2019). Ch 5. Community Assessment Part 2: Using Data Sources. In Case Studies in Public Health Nursing. MO, United States: Elsevier. Retrieved from 24 Long Creek Road
- Lee, S., & Willson, P. (2019). Ch 30. Community Based Participatory Research. In Case Studies in Public Health Nursing. MO, United States: Elsevier.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Faculty Award for Excellence Research Category, Texas State University College of Health Professions. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Phi Kappa Phi Member, Phi Kappa Phi. May 4, 1999 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Virginia Henderson Fellow and member, Sigma Theta Tau, International. May 1, 1981 - Present
- Award / Honor Nominee: Founders Awards Elizabeth Russell Belford Award for Excellence in Education, Sigma Theta Tau, International. September 15, 2017 - September 28, 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2016 Excellence in Online Teach Award, TX State, Office of Distance and Extended Learning. December 31, 2016
- Willson, Pamela Carey (Principal), Throckmorton, Terry (Supporting). Advanced Practice Nurses Standardized Testing, Elseiver, Inc. Testing and Assessment, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $20000.00. (Submitted: February 1, 2016, Funded: March 1, 2016 - May 30, 2017). Grant.
- Anderson, J. (Principal), Willson, Pamela (Co-Principal), Kent, T. (Principal). V-STOP Stroke Self-Management Program: Feasibility Study, Texas Lone Star Stroke, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $800000. (Submitted: June 15, 2013, Funded: September 1, 2013 - December 15, 2017). Grant.
- Willson, Pamela (Co-Principal), Anderson, J. (Principal), Daniels, S. (Principal). Development and Validation of a VA Stroke Swallowing Screening Tool, VHA Rehabilitation Research & Development, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $757100. (Submitted: 2012, Funded: January 1, 2012 - January 1, 2015). Grant.
- Willson, Pamela (Co-Principal), Hyland, J. (Principal). Increasing Associate Degree Nursing Students' Test Scores Through A Test Preparation Program, Pearson, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $17500. (Submitted: 2012, Funded: January 1, 2012 - January 1, 2013). Grant.
- Willson, Pamela (Co-Principal), Chipps, E. (Principal), Hallenbeck, V. (Principal). Utilization of an Elsevier HESI test to personalize orientation for nurse hires, Elsevier, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $2500. (Submitted: 2011). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Reviewer / Referee
Reviewer TOBOGNE: Research Grants
September 1, 2018-Present
University Graduate Counsel
September 1, 2018-Present
Board Member of LifePark Center
LifePark Center a NonProfit