Faculty Profile for Shawn L Boyd
Biography and EducationShawn Boyd has eighteen years of frontline critical care nursing experience. She obtained her Certification as a Critical Care Nurse (CCRN) in 1992. She has served as a critical care preceptor for many graduate nurses. As a preceptor, Ms. Boyd discovered she loved to teach nursing students. Her desire to teach nursing eventually led her to the University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio where she earned a Master’s of Science in Nursing in Acute Care of the Adult Patient. She has served as a Clinical Instructor inspiring students to care for patients holistically for more than fifteen years.
Ms. Boyd is considered an expert NCLEX® instructor and has taught for and contributed to curriculum for an NCLEX® Review company. As a Certified Nurse Educator (CNE), Ms. Boyd strives to improve student’s clinical reasoning and application skills by teaching conceptually utilizing both Interrogatory and Integrative style of lecture.
Ms. Boyd received her Post Master's, Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner certificate in May of 2019. She is serving as a primary care Adult-Gero nurse practitioner for senior patients in Assisted Living Centers.
Teaching InterestsPathophysiology and Pharmacology for Nursing Care.
Research InterestsTeaching unclear concepts through supplemental online lectures.
Use of a Nursing Student Tutoring Center as a mechanism to improve student retention.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Kim, S. C. (2020). [Review of Impacts of peer tutoring on academic performance of first-year baccalaureate nursing students: A quasi-experimental study, by R. Jillapalli & S. L. Boyd]. Nurse Education Today. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2020.104658
- Boyd, S. L. (2019, October 10). OPINION: Advocating for Patients, Facing Personal Moral Distress. TEXASNURSES.ORG. Austin, US: Texas Nurses Association. https://doi.org/https://www.texasnurses.org/news/473514/
- Jillapalli, R., Boyd, S. L., & Kim, S. C. (2021). Impact of Peer Tutoring on Academic Performance of First-Year Baccalaureate Nursing Students: A Quasi -experimental Study.
- Boyd, S. (2016). Critical Thinking & Application NCLEX¨ Review.
- Boyd, S. (2011). Cardiac. In Critical Thinking & Application NCLEXÂ® Review.
- Award / Honor Nominee: Daisy Award. July 7, 2020 - Present
- Award / Honor Nominee: Daisy Award. May 5, 2020 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi national honor society. 2016 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Named by Ashlyn Smith as Texas State University – San Marcos contributor to academic career. July 1, 2015 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Named by Joanna Patane as Texas State University – San Marcos contributor to academic career. July 1, 2015 - Present
Selected Service Activities
Non-Tenured Line Faculty Committee
September 25, 2020-Present
Coordinate Stakholder visits to speak to our senior student about job opportunities
January 15, 2020-Present
Invite NCLEX Review Companies to speak with our seniors
January 15, 2020-Present
Facutly Sponsor for Nursing Student Tutoring Center - Fall 2019
September 19, 2019-Present
Total Program Evaluation Plan
January 26, 2019-Present