Faculty Profile for Shawn L Boyd
Biography and EducationShawn Boyd has eighteen years of frontline critical care nursing experience. She obtained her Certification as a Critical Care Nurse (CCRN) in 1992. She has served as a critical care preceptor for many graduate nurses. As a preceptor, Ms. Boyd discovered she loved to teach nursing students. Her desire to teach nursing eventually led her to the University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio where she earned a Master’s of Science in Nursing in Acute Care of the Adult Patient. She has served as a Clinical Instructor inspiring students to care for patients holistically for more than fifteen years.
Ms. Boyd is considered an expert NCLEX® instructor and has taught for and contributed to curriculum for an NCLEX® Review company. As a Certified Nurse Educator (CNE), Ms. Boyd strives to improve student’s clinical reasoning and application skills by teaching conceptually utilizing both Interrogatory and Integrative style of lecture.
Ms. Boyd received her Post Master's, Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner certificate in May of 2019. She will be serving as a primary care nurse practitioner for senior patients in skilled nursing facilities, post-acute care, long term care and home health.
Teaching InterestsPathophysiology and Pharmacology for Nursing Care.
Research InterestsTeaching unclear concepts through supplemental online lectures.
Use of a Nursing Student Tutoring Center as a mechanism to improve student retention.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Boyd, S. L. (2019, October 10). OPINION: Advocating for Patients, Facing Personal Moral Distress. TEXASNURSES.ORG. Austin, US: Texas Nurses Association. https://doi.org/https://www.texasnurses.org/news/473514/
- Boyd, S. (2016). Critical Thinking & Application NCLEX¨ Review.
- Boyd, S. (2011). Cardiac. In Critical Thinking & Application NCLEXÂ® Review.
- Boyd, S. (2008). Cardiovascular System. In Hurst Reviews Pathophysiology Review.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Outstanding Clincal Faculty, Texas State University. May 13, 2017 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi national honor society. 2016 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Named by Ashlyn Smith as Texas State University – San Marcos contributor to academic career. July 1, 2015 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Named by Joanna Patane as Texas State University – San Marcos contributor to academic career. July 1, 2015 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi national honor society. January 1, 2015 - Present
Selected Service Activities
Total Program Evaluation Plan
January 26, 2019-Present
September 1, 2016-Present
Nurse peer review committee
September 1, 2014-Present
February 1, 2014-Present
September 1, 2012-Present