Faculty Profile for Dr. Joseph Baar Topinka
Biography and EducationJoseph B. Topinka is a retired military attorney who previously taught as an Assistant Professor in the Army-Baylor University Graduate Program in Health and Business Administration and was also a Legal Instructor for the Army Medical Department Center and School’s Leader Training Center. He is the former Deputy Staff Judge Advocate for the U.S Army Medical Command and the former Command Judge Advocate and Center Judge Advocate for the Army’s Western Regional Medical Command and Madigan Army Medical Center respectively. He has published or co-published many works over the last ten years.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Mileski, M., Brooks, M. S., Topinka, J. B., Hamilton, G., Land, C., Mitchell, T., … McClay, R. (2019). Are Alarming and/or Alerting Devices Effective in Reducing Falls in Long-Term Care (LTC) Facilities? A Systematic Review. Healthcare. https://doi.org/10.3390/healthcare7010051; New journal, will be added to JCR in June 2020.
- Topinka, J. B. (2018). Catching Up With Today’s Top Health Law Issues to Avoid a ‘Complication, Disruption, Glitch, Nasty Surprise.’ Frontiers, 34(4), 3–11. https://doi.org/10.1097/HAP.0000000000000031
- Topinka, J. B., Hewitt, B. A., McLeod, A. J., & Kruse, C. S. (2018). Healthy Students 2020: Analysis of a Self-Reported Health Assessment in a Public Four-Year University. Texas Public Health Journal, 70(2), 16–22.
- Mileski, M., Topinka, J. B., Brooks, M. S., Lonidier, C., Linker, K., & Vander Veen, K. (2018). Sensory and Memory Stimulation as a Means to Care for Individuals with Dementia in Long-Term Care Facilities: A Literature Review. Clinical Interventions in Aging, 2018: 13, 967–974. https://doi.org/10.2147/CIA.S153113; JCR IF—2.585, 5 year, 3.195; JCR Rank—Q3, 31/53 Geriatrics & Gerontology; Scopus Cite Score—2.77; Scimago SJR—1.001, H-index—59;
- Topinka, J. B., & Martel, A. (2018). Actions and Reports Required of Physicians in Treatment Situations. In The Law of Medical Practice in Illinois, 3d (Vol. 21, pp. 1293–1400). Eagan, Minnesota, USA: Thomson Reuters. Retrieved from https://store.legal.thomsonreuters.com/law-products/Practice-Materials/The-Law-of-Medical-Practice-in-Illinois-3d-2018-ed-Vol-21-22-Illinois-Practice-Series/p/105378807
- Award / Honor Recipient: South Texas Chapter ACHE Board Member of the Year, South Texas Chapter ACHE Board of Directors. November 1, 2014 - December 1, 2015
- Award / Honor Nominee: Instructor of the Quarter for 1st Quarter, FY14. 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Legion of Merit, US Army. October 1, 1994 - March 1, 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Army-Baylor University Distinguished Faculty Service Award. 2013
- Award / Honor Nominee: Instructor of the Quarter for 1st and 3rd Quarters, FY13. 2013
Selected Service Activities
South Texas Chapter of HFMA
April 21, 2017-Present
American Legion Post 0488
October 16, 2016-Present
Common Experience 2017-2018
June 28, 2016-Present
San Antonio Bar Association Health Law Section
February 16, 2016-Present
The Judy Baar Topinka Charitable Foundation
July 1, 2015-Present