Faculty Profile for Dr. Joseph Baar Topinka
Biography and EducationJoseph B. Topinka is a retired military attorney who previously taught as an Assistant Professor in the Army-Baylor University Graduate Program in Health and Business Administration and was also a Legal Instructor for the Army Medical Department Center and School’s Leader Training Center. He is the former Deputy Staff Judge Advocate for the U.S Army Medical Command and the former Command Judge Advocate and Center Judge Advocate for the Army’s Western Regional Medical Command and Madigan Army Medical Center respectively. He has published or co-published many works over the last ten years.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Betancourt, J. A., Stigler Granados, P. E., Pacheco, G. J., Reagan, J. K., Shanmugam, R., Topinka, J. B., & Fulton, L. V. (2021). Exploring Health Outcomes for U.S. Veterans Compared to Non-Veterans from 2003 to 2019. Healthcare, 9(604). https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.3390/healthcare9050604
- Topinka, J. B. (2019). Name & Sex/Gender Marker Change Information. In No. San Marcos, Texas: Attorney for Students Office/Student Diversity and Inclusion, and Dean of Students. Retrieved from https://gato-docs.its.txstate.edu/jcr:dbc34d78-937c-465c-bb38-c0c1f2f5c409/Name%20&%20Sex/Gender%20Marker%20Change%20Information.pdf
- Mileski, M., Brooks, M. S., Topinka, J. B., Hamilton, G., Land, C., Mitchell, T., … McClay, R. (2019). Are Alarming and/or Alerting Devices Effective in Reducing Falls in Long-Term Care (LTC) Facilities? A Systematic Review. Healthcare. https://doi.org/10.3390/healthcare7010051; New journal, will be added to JCR in June 2020.
- Topinka, J. B. (2018). Catching Up With Today’s Top Health Law Issues to Avoid a ‘Complication, Disruption, Glitch, Nasty Surprise.’ Frontiers, 34(4), 3–11. https://doi.org/10.1097/HAP.0000000000000031
- Topinka, J. B., Hewitt, B. A., McLeod, A. J., & Kruse, C. S. (2018). Healthy Students 2020: Analysis of a Self-Reported Health Assessment in a Public Four-Year University. Texas Public Health Journal, 70(2), 16–22.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Pontifical Equestrian Order of St. Gregory the Great, State of the Holey See. May 10, 2013
- Award / Honor Recipient: Honorary Member of the US Army Medical Department Regiment, Army Medical Department Regiment. April 1, 2014 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2020 College Achievement Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activities, College of Health Professions, Texas State University. August 21, 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Teaching Award of Honor, Texas State Alumni Association. May 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Order of The Noble Company of St. Mary of Walsingham, Rutherfod I Johnson Cardinale Conte De Sainte Animie, Vice Re Imperiale De Italia Nel Sacro Romano Impero, Patriarca Di S. Stefano. December 22, 2018
Selected Service Activities
Service Learning Initiative
Board of Directors
Morton College Foundation
Board of Directors
Friends of the Bohemian Cemetery
Study Abroad and Study in America Committee
American Legion Post 0488
October 16, 2016-Present