Faculty Profile for Todd Allan Mackenzie
Biography and EducationIn November 2012 Todd was appointed executive director and Austin Market Leader for Brookdale Senior Living; he is a respected leader in health care and rehabilitation services. With Texas State since 2002, currently serving as an assistant clinical professor and the LTCA Program Coordinator
Todd brings to Brookdale a track record of success both as a healthcare executive and educator. Most recently he was with Remington Medical Resorts for five years, opening its inaugural rehabilitation facility in San Antonio, and later moving to Dallas as chief executive officer. Prior to Remington, Mackenzie spent 11 years at the helm of Deer Creek of Wimberley, where he built exceptional community support for his successful turnaround of a declining nursing facility there.
He was named Texas Health Care Association (THCA) Administrator of the Year in 2001 and American Health Care Association (AHCA) Future Leader of America in Long Term Care in 2007.
Mackenzie has also served since 2004 as an assistant clinical professor at Texas State University-San Marcos College of Health Professions. In 2014, Todd was named Director of the Long Term Care Administration Graduate Certificate program at Texas State.
Teaching InterestsLeadership, Regulations, Finance, Strategy, Marketing and Business Development
Research InterestsBundled Payment Care Initiatives , 30 and 90 Avoidable Readmission, High Acuity Care, Post Acute Care, Person Centered Care, Transitional Care, Advanced Care Planning, Leadership
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Mackenzie, T. A. (2018). High Acuity Unit in SNF: Novel Program to Improve Quality of Care for Post-Acute Patients. JAMDA, the Journal of the American Medical Directors Association.
- Award / Honor Nominee: Teaching Excellence Award, SOHA. January 15, 2018 - July 15, 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Texas State University Favorite Professor, Alfred H. Noel Alpha Chi National College Honor Society. September 1, 2016 - December 15, 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Future Leader of Long Term Care in America, American Healthcare Association. January 1, 2007 - December 1, 2007
- Award / Honor Recipient: Healthcare Administrator of the Year, Texas Healthcare Association. January 1, 2000 - December 1, 2000
Selected Service Activities
Alzhiemers Association Memory Walk
October 2, 2017-Present
Long Term Care Program Coordinator
LTCA Graduate Certificate Program
August 1, 2014-Present
P. Duncan Murray MSDA Comprehensive Exam Committee
August 2018-December 2018
Christine Haynes MSDA Comprehensive Exam Committee
August 2018-December 2018
Ashley Bryan MSDA Comprehensive Exam Committee
January 2018-May 2018