Faculty Profile for Dr. Denise Gobert
Biography and EducationDr. Gobert has been practicing physical therapy for over 20 years and teaches in the Neuro/ Research track in the Doctoral Physical Therapy Program at the Texas State University in San Marcos, Texas. Her clinical practice and research specializes in the care of persons with neurological movement disorders resulting from CVA, vestibular-related pathologies and traumatic brain injury. She received Physical Therapy degree at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio, Texas, and her Masters in Exercise Science and Doctorate in Kinesiology at the University of Texas at Austin. She is a Certified Vestibular Rehabilitation Specialist, Board Certified Specialist in Neurologic Physical Therapy and Certified Exercise Expert for Aging Adults. In addition, she is a well published researcher and has held several state and national offices including Chair of the Vestibular Special Interest Group in the Neurology Section in the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA). Her current research includes vestibulo-oculomotor deficits associated with acquired brain injury such as CVA and traumatic brain injuries. Her work has been well supported by several national funding sources including the American Heart Association, Department of Veteran Affairs and the Department of Defense.
Research InterestsBiomechanical Analysis of Human Movement
Rehabilitation Strategies for Neuromuscular Movement Disorders
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Gobert, D. V. N., & McDowell, D. R. (2020). Patient Access to Pelvic Floor Dysfunction Physical Therapy: Challenging Trends to Adequate Patient Care. Medical Archives Research Journal, 8(4), 1–13. https://doi.org/National Library of Medicine (PubMed) ID: 101668511
- Gobert, D., & Komogortsev, O. (2010). “Oculomotor Behavior Profile: Biometric Indicator of Post-Concussion Recovery.” Brain Injury, 24(March), 115–463. https://doi.org/DOI: 10.3109/02699051003648227
- Gobert, D. V. N., & Dunlap, E. (2019). Prevalence of Waterproof Dressing Usage in Aquatic Therapy Settings: Results from an International Online Survey. Journal of Wound Care, 27(MAY-SUMMER), 12–18. https://doi.org/JAPT-D-18-00006R1
- Dunlap, E., & Gobert, D. (2018). Waterproof Success Rate for Transparent Film Dressings With and Without Special Skin Prep in an Aquatic Therapy Setting: Pilot Study. Journal of of Aquatic Therapy, 26(Summer), 37. Retrieved from https://aquaticpt.org/journal-of-aquatic-physical-therapy.cfm
- Gobert, D., Mattingly, H., Wallace, B., Cuthen, H. M., & Fell, D. (2018). Intervention for Vestibular Impairments (Chapter 29). In Lifespan Neurorehabilitation (pp. 918–941). Philadelphia, PA, USA: FA Davis Company. Retrieved from http://davisplus.fadavis.com
- Award / Honor Recipient: Kappa Delta Pi Int. Honor Society in Education, University of Texas at Austin. January 1, 1999 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Excellence in Scholarship Award 2019, College of Health Professions. August 20, 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: TPTA President's Service Excellence Award 2017, Texas Physical Therapy Association. October 27, 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: TPTA's Outstanding Poster Award 2017, Texas Physical Therapy Association. October 27, 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Excellence in Scholarship, College of Health Professions, Texas State University. August 25, 2017
- Gobert, Denise Valencia Newbur (Principal), McDowell, Debra R (Co-Principal). Characterizing the Dosage Response of Persons with Parkinson Disease to HITT Boxing Training, Texas State University, Texas State University, $15800. (Submitted: October 13, 2019, Funded: December 15, 2019 - January 31, 2021). Grant.
- GOBERT, DENISE (Principal), WILLIAMS, SHANNON HOPE (Co-Principal), MCDOWELL, DEBRA R (Co-Principal). Predictors of Hospital Readmissions as Related to Home Health Physical Therapy Service Trends, Home Health Section of the American Physical Therapy Association, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $10000.00. (Submitted: October 25, 2017, Funded: May 1, 2018 - June 30, 2020). Grant.
- GOBERT, DENISE (Principal), PARKER, MARY E (Co-Principal). Pilot Study: Characterizing Pediatric Neuromuscular Motor Responses to Instrumented Hippotherapy, Research Enhancement Program- Texas State University, Texas State University, $16000. (Submitted: October 25, 2017, Funded: January 15, 2018 - December 31, 2018). Grant.
- Gobert, Denise Valencia Newbur (Principal). Pilot Study: Exploring Trunk Stability and Balance for Persons with Neuromuscular Impairments in Response to Instrumented Hippotherapy, TEXAS PHYSICAL THERAPY FOUNDATION, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $4000.00. (Submitted: November 1, 2016, Funded: January 1, 2017 - December 31, 2017). Grant.
- McDowell, Debra R (Co-Principal), Gobert, Denise Valencia Newbur (Principal). Pilot study: Exploring Trunk Stability and Balance in Persons with Neuromuscular Impairments in Response to Instrumented Hippotherapy, Texas Physical Therapy Foundation, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $4000. (Funded: November 2, 2016 - November 2, 2017). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Historian Committee - Academy of Neurologic Physical Therapy
June 15, 2018-June 1, 2020
Texas Physical Therapy Association
October 27, 2016-June 2019
Texas State Continuity of Research Group
May 1, 2020-Present
Texas State CoVID-19 Subcommittee for Risk Reductions
March 1, 2020-Present
Barbara Melzer Endorwed Professorship Awards Committee
September 1, 2019-Present