Faculty Profile for Lori L Stiritz
Biography and EducationI have been a practicing audiologist since 1983 and I have been involved in higher education since 1988. My personal education pathway started at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio and ended at The University of Texas in Austin. I have supervised students delivering Audiology services in a clinical environment and taught academic courses covering testing for hearing loss and the treatment of hearing loss as well as neuroanatomy.
Teaching InterestsNo matter which course I am teaching, my goal is to impart the importance of incorporating the details of the science with the patient's needs. One is not more important than the other. This is why I enjoy teaching the preciseness of acoustics, speech perception, psycoacoustics, neuroanatomy and diagnostic/rehabilitative audiology in the classroom and then supervising students in the clinic as they learn how these scientific principles are the basis for diagnosing and treating hearing loss. I take satisfaction in shaping how students learn to combine the science with the humanistic art and develop into independent practitioners.
Research Interests•Central Auditory Processing Testing and Therapy: I am interested in the differential diagnosis of Central Auditory Processing Disorders (CAPD) and ADHD and language/literacy disorders and also in establishing new clinical protocols for the treatment of CAPD.
•The Impact of Ethnocentrism in the Delivery of Clinical Services to Patients and in the Preparation of Student Clinicians: I am interested in ways to diminish the effects of ethnocentricity on clinical decision making and increase overall cultural sensitivity in both students and practitioners.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Stiritz, L. L. (2018). Book review of Neuroscience fundamentals for the study of communicative disorders. Plural.
- Stiritz, L. (2015). Review of new textbook: Chapters 7-10 of Neuroscience for the study of communicative disorders [Review of Neuroscience for the study of communicative disorders, by S. Bhatnagar].
- Stiritz, L. (2012, September). Review of textbook: Katz, J. (2013) Handbook of Clinical Audiology. 6th ed. [Review of Handbook of Clinical Audiology, by J. Katz].
- Stiritz, L. L. (2012, February). Review of new textbook: Basic foundations in hearing science. 1st ed.
- Stiritz, L. L. (2007). Review of new edition: Introduction to sound. Acoustics for hearing and speech sciences. 4th ed. San Diego: Singular. [Review of Introduction to sound. Acoustics for hearing and speech sciences. 4th ed. San Diego: Singular.].
- Award / Honor Recipient: Knowledged as a major contributor to a graduating senior's academic success and development, Graduating Student Recognition of Campus Support Program. August 1, 2016 - July 1, 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: "Favorite Professor" Award, The Alfred H. Nolle Chapter of the Alpha Chi National College Honor Society, Texas State University. April 21, 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: College of Health Professions Award for Excellence in Service: Lecturer/Assistant Professor Level, Texas State University. August 1, 2015 - May 1, 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Recognition for the Supervision of an Undergraduate Honors Thesis, Honors College, Texas State University. April 2016
- Award / Honor Nominee: College of Health Professions Award for Teaching Excellence: Lecturer/Assistant Professor Level, Texas State University. August 1, 2013 - May 1, 2014
- Stiritz, Lori (Principal), Sanders, Barbara (Supporting). Comprehensive College Initiative: Department of Communication Disorders, Computer Lab Upgrade, Academic Computing Committee at Texas State University, Institutional (Higher Ed), $55341.80. (Submitted: October 27, 2017, Funded: January 1, 2018 - June 30, 2018). Grant.
- Domsch, Celeste (Principal), Stiritz, Lori (Principal). Study Abroad Grant, Institutional (Higher Ed), $1750. (Submitted: April 1, 2015, Funded: August 24, 2015 - August 20, 2016). Grant.
- Stiritz, Lori (Principal). Efficacy in treatments for central auditory processing disorders, Texas Speech-Language-Hearing Foundation Annual Grant, State, $1000. (Submitted: February 1, 1998). Grant.
- Stiritz, Lori (Principal), Sanders, B. (Co-Principal). Comprehensive College Initiative: Department of Communication Disorders, Computer Lab Upgrade, Academic Computing Committee at Texas State University, Institutional (Higher Ed), $19871. (Submitted: January 1, 2014). Grant.
- Stiritz, Lori (Principal). Selected to participate and completed a Faculty Advancement Center Merrick Teaching with Technology Grant, $300. (Submitted: 2000). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Faculty Excellence Committee
CDIS Curriculum Committee
August 1, 2015-Present
Served as Acting Chair whenever Chair was out of the office
January 1, 2006-Present
Undergraduate Program Coordinator
January 1, 1993-Present
Campus Carry Task Force
September 1, 2015-December 31, 2017