Faculty Profile for Dr. Farzan Irani
Biography and EducationI earned my Bachelor's degree in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology at the Maharashtra University of Health Sciences in Mumbai, India. I earned my MS and PhD in Communication Sciences and disorders at Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, OH.
Teaching InterestsStuttering, voice, motor speech disorders, research methods.
Research InterestsStuttering, fluency disorders
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Rojas, R., & Irani, F. (2020). Classifying Disfluencies in Preschool and School Age Spanish-English Bilinguals Who Do Not Stutter: An Exploratory Study. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups, 1–12. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1044/2019_PERSP-19-00164
- Azios, M., Irani, F., Rutland, B., Ratinaud, P., & Manchaiah, V. (2020). Representation of Stuttering in the United States Newspaper Media. Journal of Consumer Health on the Internet, 24(4), 329–345. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1080/15398285.2020.1810940
- Irani, F. (2020). Stuttering Management During Physical Distancing: Ways to Remain Socially Engaged. ASHA Leader Live. Rockville, MD, USA: American Speech Language Hearing Association (ASHA). Retrieved from https://leader.pubs.asha.org/do/10.1044/2020-0511-stuttering-socially-engaged/full/
- Irani, F. (2020). Does My Child Stutter? Using SALT to Assess Stuttering and Measure Outcomes. Retrieved from https://saltsoftware.com/blog/2020/03/08/does-my-child-stutter/
- Irani, F., & Swartz, E. (2019). Fluency and Fluency Disorders. In Overview of Communication Disorders: Including culturally and linguistically diverse content and perspectives (pp. 265–299). Charlotte, NC, USA: Kona Publishing & Media Group.
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Scholarly/Creative Activities, College of Health Professions, Texas State University. August 21, 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Teaching. August 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: College of Health Professions Faculty Excellence Award in Teaching at the Associate Professor level, College of Health Professions. January 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Certificate of Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing, Journal of Fluency Disorders. September 1, 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alpha Chi Favorite Professor. April 1, 2015
- Fleming, Valarie B (Principal), Domsch, Celeste A, Wendel, Renee M, Irani, Farzan (Co-Principal). Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students in Communication Disorders, Health Resources and Services Administration, Federal, $1576750. (Submitted: March 3, 2020, Funded: July 1, 2020 - June 30, 2025). Grant.
- Rojas, Raul (Co-Principal), Irani, Farzan (Co-Principal). Characterizing Speech Disfluencies in Bilingual (Spanish-English) Children, American Speech Language Hearing Association Multicultural Activities Grant, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $15000. (Funded: August 2019 - November 2020). Grant.
- Golob, Edward (Principal), Mock, Jeffery (Co-Principal), Robbins, Kay (Co-Principal), Irani, Farzan (Co-Principal), Jones, Mark (Other). Development of brain-computer interface methods to influence brain dynamics in stuttering, NIH/NIDCD, Federal, $387172. (Submitted: July 17, 2017, Funded: March 2, 2018 - March 2, 2020). Grant.
- Irani, Farzan. Acceptance & Commitment Therapy, University Lecturers Committee, Texas State University, $1200.00. (Funded: March 2017 - December 2017). Grant.
- Irani, Farzan. Online Resource Grant, Texas State University, $4200. (Submitted: February 6, 2017, Funded: March 20, 2017). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
CDIS Program Quality Enhancement Taskforce
Faculty Development and Research
Texas Speech Language Hearing Association, Telepractice Committee
Alumni Outreach Committee
Journal of Fluency Disorders