Faculty Profile for Dr. Farzan Irani
Biography and EducationI earned his Bachelor's degree in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology at the Maharashtra University of Health Sciences in Mumbai, India. I earned my MS and PhD in Communication Sciences and disorders at Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, OH.
Teaching InterestsStuttering, voice, motor speech disorders, research methods.
Research InterestsStuttering, fluency disorders
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- DeBelly, L., Gabel, R., & Irani, F. (2018). Clinical Outcomes of the Intensive Stuttering Clinic for Adolescents and Adults. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups, 3(4), 17--29.
- St. Louis, K. O., Irani, F., Gabel, R. M., Hughes, S., Langevin, M., Rodriguez, M., … Weidner, M. E. (2017). Evidence-based guidelines for being supportive of people who stutter in North America. Journal of Fluency Disorders, 53, 1–13. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfludis.2017.05.002
- Byrd, C., Chmela, K., Coleman, C., Weidner, M., Kelly, E. M., Reichhardt, R., & Irani, F. (2016). An Introduction to Camps for Children Who Stutter: What They are and How They can Help. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups, 1 (Part 2)(4), 55–69. https://doi.org/10.1044/persp1.SIG4.54
- Swartz, E., Irani, F., & Gabel, R. (2015). The Correlation of Self-Reported Stuttering Severity and Acceptance: A Survey Based Study. Speech, Language, and Hearing, 18(3), 179–186. https://doi.org/10.1179/2050572814Y.0000000056
- Irani, F. (2015). Lab Lessons. In Turning Points: Inspiring Stories of Personal Change from the National Stuttering Association (pp. 135–140). New York, NY: National Stuttering Association.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Teaching. August 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: College of Health Professions Faculty Excellence Award in Teaching at the Associate Professor level, College of Health Professions. January 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Certificate of Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing, Journal of Fluency Disorders. September 1, 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alpha Chi Favorite Professor. April 1, 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Scholarly and Creative Activities at the Assistant Professor Level. January 1, 2014
- Golob, Edward (Principal), Mock, Jeffery (Co-Principal), Robbins, Kay (Co-Principal), Irani, Farzan (Co-Principal), Jones, Mark (Other). Development of brain-computer interface methods to influence brain dynamics in stuttering, NIH/NIDCD, Federal, $387172. (Submitted: July 17, 2017, Funded: March 2, 2018 - March 2, 2020). Grant.
- Irani, Farzan. Acceptance & Commitment Therapy, University Lecturers Committee, Texas State University, $1200.00. (Funded: March 2017 - December 2017). Grant.
- Irani, Farzan. Online Resource Grant, Texas State University, $4200. (Submitted: February 6, 2017, Funded: March 20, 2017). Grant.
- Irani, Farzan (Principal), Chakraborty, Rahul (Co-Principal). Psychophysiological Correlates of Responses to Speech Differences, Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $15106. (Submitted: October 11, 2016, Funded: January 2017 - December 2017). Grant.
- Irani, Farzan (Co-Principal). Research Enhancement Program (REP) grant, Research Enhancement Program (REP), Institutional (Higher Ed), $11040. (Submitted: January 1, 2012). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Faculty Search Committee
Faculty Development and Research
Texas Speech Language Hearing Association, Telepractice Committee
Journal of Fluency Disorders