Faculty Profile for Dr. Valarie B Fleming
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Fleming, V., & Johnson, L. (2019). Language and Cognitive-Communication Disorders in Adults. In Overview of Communication Disorders Including Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Content and Perspective. Kona Publishing and Media Group.
- Fleming, V. B. (2017). The preliminary evidence supports the use of spaced retrieval paired with a visual aid for teaching individuals with dementia to use compensatory strategies during oral intake in a controlled environment. Evidence-Based Communication Assessment and Intervention (EBCAI), 11(3–4), 130–134. Retrieved from http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17489539.2017.1393895
- Fleming, V. B. (2017). Toward identifying mild cognitive impairment in Hispanic and African American adults. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups SIG 2 Neurophysiology and Neurogenic Speech and Language Disorders, 2(3), 110–116.
- Fleming, V. B. (2016, August 1). Overheard: Normal Aging? Or Mild Cognitive Impairment? ASHA Leader, 21. Retrieved from http://leader.pubs.asha.org/article.aspx?articleid=2541739
- Fleming, V. B. (2014). Early detection of cognitive-linguistic change associated with mild cognitive impairment. Communication Disorders Quarterly, 35(3), 146–157.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Department of Physical Therapy Very Important Partner “VIP” Award, Department of Physical Therapy- Texas State University. May 2018 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Honorary Member, Golden Key International Honour Society, Golden Key International Honour Society Texas State University. April 2018 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: 5th Award for Continuing Education (ACE), American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. June 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alpha Chi Favorite Professor Award, Alpha Chi Honor Society. 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alpha Chi Favorite Professor Award, Alpha Chi Honor Society. 2015
- Fleming, Valarie B, Hayes, Kathryn Ruth, Johnson, Linda E, Johnson, Jennifer L, Bowers, Jessica Ree. SPEAK OUT! Parkinson Voice Project, Parkinson Voice Project, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $1000. (Submitted: February 2019, Funded: April 2019 - August 2019). Grant.
- Fleming, Valarie B (Principal). Establishing the effectiveness of a community-based cognitivecommunication program, Research Enhancement Program (REP) at Texas State University, Institutional (Higher Ed), $8000. (Submitted: January 1, 2014, Funded: January 1, 2014 - December 31, 2014). Grant.
- Fleming, Valarie B (Principal). Freedom related to speech and diversity-Dr. Walt Wolfram, University Lecturers Series Grant at Texas State University, Institutional (Higher Ed), $1250. (Submitted: 2011). Grant.
- Fleming, Valarie B (Principal). Early detection of Mild Cognitive Impairment: Cognitivecommunicative change, AlzheimerÂ's Association, New Investigator Research to Promote Diversity (NIRGD), Private / Foundation / Corporate, $80000. (Submitted: October 1, 2009, Funded: October 1, 2009 - September 30, 2011). Grant.
- Fleming, Valarie B (Principal). Underlying mechanism of change in spoken discourse: Close linguistic inspection, Research Enhancement Program (REP) at Texas State University, Institutional (Higher Ed), $8000. (Submitted: January 1, 2009, Funded: January 1, 2009 - December 31, 2009). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
S.T.E.P. (Student to Empowered Professional) Mentoring Program, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
Acquired Cognitive-Communication Disorders Topic Area Review Committee, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) Convention 2019
Council of Chairs
Reviewer / Referee
Scholarship Committee, Council of Academic Programs in Communication Sciences and Disorders (CAPCSD)
Master of Science in Dementia and Aging Studies (MSDA) Faculty Advisory Council