Faculty Profile for Joanna Ellis
Biography and EducationJoanna graduated from the Texas State University Clinical Laboratory Science Program in 2007, and worked as a generalist at Dell Children’s Center of Central Texas. She began teaching in 2010 in the Medical Laboratory Technology Program at Austin Community College. Mrs. Ellis became an Associate Professor at ACC in May of 2011 and completed her Masters of Science in Biotechnology from Johns Hopkins University in August of 2012. In January of 2014, Joanna returned to her alma mater as a Clinical Assistant Professor and Clinical Coordinator in the CLS department at Texas State. She is a mother of two teenage daughters who keep her quite busy.
Joanna was elected Student Forum Chair of TACLS and ASCLS Region VII Student Forum Representative in 2007. She continued her professional involvement by serving as the TACLS New Professional Board Member and then Board Member at Large. She has been the Membership Committee Chair 2007-2010, served on two Convention committees, then served as Chair of TACLS 2013 Weird Science Annual Meeting in Austin. Joanna completed the ASCLS Leadership Academy 2012-2013. She has been active in the 2013 Licensure for Lab Professionals initiative through website creation (texaslabquality.org), petition designer, testifying, and Facebook page creator. She was TACLS Member of the Year in 2015. Joanna was awarded the honor of 2016 ASCLS Voices Under 40 Spotlight Recipient. Joanna currently is a TACLS Past President. Joanna was honored with the 2017 Presidential Award for Excellence in Service.
Teaching InterestsStudy Abroad, Microbiology, Hematology, Clinical Practice Preparedness
Research InterestsHealth education through lab science, cultural competency, volunteerism impact, study abroad, and instructional technology
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Baumgartner, L. M., Ellis, J. H., Hollingsworth, K., & Peebles, C. (2021). Learning about COVID: Source, trustworthiness and beliefs (pp. 588–589). Vancouver, BC, Canada: University of British Columbia.
- Ellis, J. H., Hollingsworth, K., May, M., Peebles, C., & Baumgartner, L. M. (2021). Reactions to COVID-19: A public health critical race praxis analysis approach. (pp. 45–50). USA: ERIC. Retrieved from https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED611644.pdf
- Ellis, J. H. (2020). Ellis, J. Geek Out: Community Health Education with Scientific Flare (pp. 187–190). Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: National Library of Canada Cataloguing in Publication. Retrieved from https://edst-educ.sites.olt.ubc.ca/files/2020/06/aegt_proceedings_upload.pdf
- Ellis, J. H. (2019, May). Up, Up, and Abroad: Clinical Laboratory Science Students Study in Latin America. ASCLS TOday. United States: ASCLS. Retrieved from https://www.ascls.org/communication/ascls-today/335-ascls-today-volume-33-number-2/536-up-up-and-abroad-clinical-laboratory-science-students-study-in-latin-america
- Ellis, J. H. (n.d.). Textbook of Diagnostic Microbiology: Study Questions for all 40 Chapters (p. Study Questions for Chapters 1-40). Amsterdam, Netherlands: Elsevier Evolve.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Multicultural Curriculum Transformation and Research Institute, Texas State Center for Diversity and Gender Studies. May 2018 - August 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2017 Presidential Award for Excellence in Service, Texas State University. March 28, 2017 - August 25, 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Blue Ribbon Finalist, American Society for Clinical Pathology. September 11, 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Grad College Shop Talks Certificate of Completion in Graduate & Career Professional Development,, Texas State University. January 15, 2020 - June 9, 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Education Scholarship, Texas State University Graduate College. March 2020
- Ellis, Joanna Howard. International Aid Field Partner Grant Request and Agreement, International Aid: Lab-in-a-Suitcase, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $1700. (Funded: November 2017). Grant.
- Ellis, Joanna R. Study Abroad Grant, Texas State University Study Abroad Office, Texas State University, $3000. (Submitted: September 2017, Funded: November 2017). Grant.
- Ellis, Joanna Howard. Service-Learning Grant, Texas State University, $1000. (Submitted: January 2016, Funded: November 2017). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
College of Health Professions Wellness Committee
Society of Public Health Educators Research Agenda Committee
August 1, 2020-Present
Alpha Eta National Honor Society for the Health Professions: Texas State University Chapter
January 26, 2020-Present
College of Health Professions Curriculum Committee
January 15, 2020-Present
Alkek Library Representative
January 14, 2020-Present