Faculty Profile for Charles R Hurt
Biography and EducationCharles R. Hurt is Professor of Trombone at Texas State University and served as Principal Trombonist with the Austin Symphony Orchestra for thirty seasons. He is also one of the founding members of the SouthWest BrassWorks, the faculty brass quintet at Texas State. Mr. Hurt holds degrees from the University of Tennessee and Northwestern University. His teachers have included Frank
Crisafulli, trombonist with the Chicago Symphony for fifty years and Professor of Trombone at Northwestern University, Donald Hough, Professor of Trombone at the University of Tennessee (Ret), and Donald Knaub, former member of the Rochester Philharmonic and former professor of Trombone at the University of Texas and the Eastman School of Music.
Mr. Hurt has been invited to perform and present master classes at many conservatories and universities including the University of Tennessee, the Moscow Conservatory, the St. Petersburg Conservatory, the Crane School of Music, Northern College in Scotland, the University of Monterrey in Mexico, and the University of Göteborg in Sweden. In the fall of 2010 he was invited to co-present a lecture on the use of SmartMusic at the College Music Society convention in Minneapolis. He has also published articles in the International Trombone Association Journal, and is a former assistant editor for “New Positions” of that publication.
Professor Hurt has, on several occasions, been invited to choose the All-State Try-Out Music for the State of Texas and was invited to perform this music for the Texas Band Masters Convention. He has been the guest conductor and performer at the Texas Music Educators Convention and the International Trombone Festival. Hurt recently completed a tour of Hong Kong where he presented recitals, master classes, lectures, and coached the trombone ensemble and brass quintet at Hong Kong Baptist University. He was guest artist for the Cole Performing Arts Series at Stephen F. Austin State University and is co-editor of the Alumni Newsletter for the School of Music at Texas State University. Hurt routinely writes and arranges pieces for performance by the Texas State University Trombone Ensemble.
Research InterestsMusic - Trombone
Music - Trombone Ensemble Literature
Music - Computer aided instruction and evaluation
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Judge - Music Teachers National Association - Brass, Judge - Music Teachers National Association - Brass. December 1, 2018 - December 31, 2018.
- Performer, Westlake Presbyterian Church. December 15, 2018 - December 16, 2018.
- Conductor/Arranger, Trombone Ensemble Concert. November 18, 2018.
- Songs of Dances and Death - Mussorgsky.
- Fall Concert- Texas State Trombone Ensemble. November 18, 2018 Performaning Arts Recital Hall, San Marcos, Texas.
- Judge - Texas Music Educators Solo and Ensemble Contest. April 26, 2018 - April 28, 2018.
- Hurt, Charles R. Access and Equity Grant. (Funded: 2014). Grant.
- Hurt, Charles R. The six faculty members: Traveled approximately 893.6 miles. Visited five high schools and one junior high school Presented 68 master classes Gave 34 private lessons Reached 692 students. (Funded: 2014). Grant.
- Hurt, Charles R. I organized this tour which included: Contacting band directors and setting tour itinerary Arranging transportation Arranging lodging Writing “follow-up” letters. (Funded: 2014). Grant.
- Hurt, Charles R. Access and Equity. (Funded: 2010). Grant.
- Hurt, Charles R. I made application on behalf of the School of Music to The Texas Education Agency for Continuing Professional Education credit for selected School of Music activities. (Funded: 2010). Grant.