Faculty Profile for Hank Hehmsoth
Biography and Education• MacDowell Norton Stevens Fellow in Composition, National Endowment for the Arts Fellow in Jazz Composition, Fulbright Senior Specialist in Jazz Studies
• Texas State University Presidential Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activities, Spotlight on Excellence at Texas State University, recipient of the Dean’s Seminar Award
• Distinguished Academic Member of the International Conference on Visual and Performing Arts, Athens Institute for Education and Research, Athens, Greece, lifetime voting member for the GRAMMY© Awards
• Pianist with the Grammy© nominated jazz group Times Ten, lifetime voting member for the GRAMMY© Awards
• 1st place National Association of Composers USA, Composer Competition
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Jazz Pianist, Austin Symphony - “Lush Life” Music of Duke Ellington & Billy Strayhorn.
December 28, 2019 - December 29, 2019.
- “Lush Life” Music of Duke Ellington & Billy Strayhorn. December 28, 2019 - December 29, 2019 Palmer Events Center, 900 Barton Springs Rd.
- Film Composer, nationwide release: "Scary Movie".
October 8, 2019.
- Terror Tuesday. October 8, 2019 Alamo Drafthouse, South Lamar, Austin, TX.
- Up All Night Fest 2. October 19, 2019 Mayfair Theatre, Ottawa, Canada.
- Reviewed by: Eric Bond.
- Reviewed by: Marc Savlov.
- Reviewed by: Jim Kelly.
- Reviewed by: James J Edwards.
- Feature Soloist, Fredericksburg Jazz Festival. April 13, 2019.
- soloist, "La La Land - In Concert" with the San Antonio Symphony.
March 1, 2018 - March 3, 2018.
- San Antonio Symphony Movie Concert Series. March 1, 2018 - March 3, 2018 Majestic Theatre, 224 E Houston St, San Antonio, TX 78205.
- Reviewed by: David Hendricks.
- Arranger, Musical Director, Performer, A Night of Jazz and Blues - Berry Creek Country Club, Georgetown, TX. March 29, 2020.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Dean’s Seminar Award, College of Fine Arts – Texas State University. 2015
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activities. January 2020 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2019 Morroe Berger – Benny Carter – Ed Berger Jazz Research Award, Institute of Jazz Studies - Rutgers University. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Award: Faculty Workload Release - 1 year, Texas State University Faculty Senate. December 3, 2019 - 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: ART WORKS "Reminiscences of NEA Jazz Master Dan Morgenstern", National Endowment for the Arts. May 2018 - December 2019
- Hehmsoth, Henry. Golden Era of the Big Band Jazz Musicians: Reminiscences of NEA Jazz Master Dan Morgenstern, National Endowment for the Arts NEA ArtWorks, Federal, $25000. (Funded: June 2018 - December 2019). Grant.
- Hehmsoth, Henry. Proposal 295 Texas State University: Eddie Durham Celebration/Hill Country Jazz Festival, San Marcos Arts Commission, Municipal, $8000. (Funded: September 2017). Grant.
- Hehmsoth, Henry. FULBRIGHT SPECIALIST GRANT, J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, Federal, $8500. (Funded: 2016). Grant.
- Hehmsoth, Henry. FULBRIGHT SPECIALIST GRANT, J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, Federal, $8500. (Funded: August 2013). Grant.
- Hehmsoth, Henry. MACDOWELL COLONY NORTON STEVENS FELLOWSHIP, Norlin Foundation, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $10000. (Funded: June 7, 2012). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Guest Performing Artist; Student Mentor; Featured Speaker
Grammy in the Schools - NARAS National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences
School of Music Website
Reviewer / Referee
Fulbright Specialist Peer Reviewer - U.S. Department of State Cycle 2 2020
March 6, 2020-March 27, 2020
Building Safety - Emergency Response Plan
September 11, 2018-December 2019
Fine Arts and Communication Studies Study Abroad to London and Paris
August 2018-May 2019