Faculty Profile for Hank Hehmsoth
Biography and Education• MacDowell Norton Stevens Fellow in Composition, National Endowment for the Arts Fellow in Jazz Composition, Fulbright Senior Specialist in Jazz Studies
• Texas State University Presidential Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activities, Spotlight on Excellence at Texas State University, recipient of the Dean’s Seminar Award
• Distinguished Academic Member of the International Conference on Visual and Performing Arts, Athens Institute for Education and Research, Athens, Greece, lifetime voting member for the GRAMMY© Awards
• Pianist with the Grammy© nominated jazz group Times Ten, lifetime voting member for the GRAMMY© Awards
• 1st place National Association of Composers USA, Composer Competition
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Feature Soloist, Fredericksburg Jazz Festival. April 13, 2019.
- soloist, "La La Land - In Concert" with the San Antonio Symphony.
March 1, 2018 - March 3, 2018.
- San Antonio Symphony Movie Concert Series. March 1, 2018 - March 3, 2018 Majestic Theatre, 224 E Houston St, San Antonio, TX 78205.
- Reviewed by: David Hendricks.
- Institute of Jazz Studies, Rutgers University, Newark, NJ. Research Scholar. 2020.
- soloist, Times Ten - 1st Wednesday of every month. January 4, 2019 - December 6, 2019.
- Film Composer, nationwide release: "Scary Movie".
October 15, 2019.
- Terror Tuesday. October 15, 2019 Alamo Drafthouse, South Lamar, Austin, TX.
- Up All Night Fest 2. October 19, 2019 Mayfair Theatre, Ottawa, Canada.
- Reviewed by: Eric Bond.
- Reviewed by: Marc Savlov.
- Reviewed by: Jim Kelly.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Dean’s Seminar Award, College of Fine Arts – Texas State University. 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2019 Morroe Berger – Benny Carter – Ed Berger Jazz Research Award, Institute of Jazz Studies - Rutgers University. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: ART WORKS "Reminiscences of NEA Jazz Master Dan Morgenstern", National Endowment for the Arts. May 2018 - December 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Faculty Research Spotlight, Office of Research and Sponsored Programs. February 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Adjucator/Feature Performer, Fredericksburg Jazz Festival. April 23, 2018
- Hehmsoth, Henry. Golden Era of the Big Band Jazz Musicians: Reminiscences of NEA Jazz Master Dan Morgenstern, National Endowment for the Arts NEA ArtWorks, Federal, $25000. (Funded: June 2018 - December 2019). Grant.
- Hehmsoth, Henry. Proposal 295 Texas State University: Eddie Durham Celebration/Hill Country Jazz Festival, San Marcos Arts Commission, Municipal, $8000. (Funded: September 2017). Grant.
- Hehmsoth, Henry. FULBRIGHT SPECIALIST GRANT, J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, Federal, $8500. (Funded: 2016). Grant.
- Hehmsoth, Henry. FULBRIGHT SPECIALIST GRANT, J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, Federal, $8500. (Funded: August 2013). Grant.
- Hehmsoth, Henry. MACDOWELL COLONY NORTON STEVENS FELLOWSHIP, Norlin Foundation, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $10000. (Funded: June 7, 2012). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Reviewer / Referee
Fulbright Specialist Peer Reviewer - U.S. Department of State
Hill Country Big Band
February 25, 2018-Present
Grammy in the Schools - Recording Academy
YouTube TXSTMusic Channel - content developer
Public Relations Committee