Faculty Profile for Jenny Buschhorn
Biography and EducationJenny Buschhorn specializes in Account Planning and Advertising Campaign development at Texas State University. Buschhorn has a BS and MA in Advertising with concentration in marketing from The University of Texas at Austin.
Prior to teaching, Jenny co-founded a highly successful strategic business planning company with McGarrah-Jessee. Her strengths lie in business planning via primary and secondary research to develop strong business positioning. She excels in overall business strategy and operational/communications implementation. As an Account Service representative and Account Planner she worked at several advertising agencies: GSD&M, McGarrah-Jessee, TM and McCann Erickson. She has developed and implemented strategy for many high profile clients including Southwest Airlines, JCPenney, SBC/AT&T, Brinker International, Frost Bank, Airheads, Whataburger, Shiner Beer, Central Market and more. Buschhorn is an industry leader with speaking engagements for The Account Planning Group, the 4A’s and numerous local/regional advertising organizations.
Mrs. Buschhorn’s teaching philosophy is to give students the opportunity to work with real world clients and gain real world experience. Her classes feature projects that are presented to current industry professionals. She has won numerous awards and serves on the two national advertising boards.
Teaching InterestsAdvertising Campaign development
Strategic Communications planning
Research InterestsResearch in the area of Advertising Professional readiness and job search best practices.
Research in diversity in class guest speakers.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Craig, C. M., Bergstrom, A., & Buschhorn, J. L. (2021). All Guest Speakers Are Not Created Equal: Diverse Students Require Diverse Speakers. Journal of Advertising Education, 24(2), 150–167.
- Buschhorn, J. L., & Owen, V. (2017). National Advertising Student Competition Policies and Procedures. Washington DC, USA: American Advertising Federation. Retrieved from www.aaf.org
- Award / Honor Recipient: Educator of the Year, American Advertising Federation - Austin. October 24, 2019
- Award / Honor Nominee: Texas State University System Regents' Teacher Award, Texas State University System Regents. August 30, 2017 - April 15, 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: President's Award for Excellence in Teaching, Texas State University. January 15, 2017 - August 25, 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: 1st Place District 10 National Student Advertising Competition, American Advertising Federation. April 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Texas Star Award, Girl Scouts of Central Texas. April 2020
Selected Service Activities
American Advertising Federation Executive Board of Directors
June 2020-June 2024
American Advertising Federation National Education Executive Committee
June 8, 2020-June 10, 2022
University Marketing Committee
September 1, 2017-Present
American Advertising Federation - National Education Executive Committee