Faculty Profile for Dr. Cindy L Royal
Biography and EducationDr. Cindy Royal is a Professor in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, teaching digital and data-driven media skills and concepts. She has been teaching at Texas State since 2006, dedicating her career to preparing students to be innovative in their media endeavors. Dr. Royal completed Ph.D. studies in Journalism and Mass Communication at The University of Texas at Austin in May 2005. Her research focuses on data journalism, coding education and gender issues in technology. In 2013, Dr. Royal received Texas State’s Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching and the AEJMC/Scripps Howard Journalism and Mass Communication Teacher of the Year award. She was a 2014 Knight Journalism Fellow at Stanford University, the first full-time academic to be accepted into this prestigious program. She enjoys live music, breakfast tacos and travel. Additional detail regarding her research, education and experience can be found at cindyroyal.com.
Research InterestsData journalism, coding education and gender issues in technology.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Royal, C. L. (n.d.). Teaching Mobile App Development in a Mass Communication Program. In Coding Pedagogy. Retrieved from http://codingpedagogy.net
- Royal, C. L. (2018). Product Management. In Media Innovation and Entrepreneurship. Rebus Community. Retrieved from https://press.rebus.community/media-innovation-and-entrepreneurship/part/product-management/
- Royal, C. L. (n.d.). For Journalism Curriculum To Change, Its Faculty Needs Disruption. Nieman Journalism Lab (Vol. December). Retrieved from http://www.niemanlab.org/2018/12/for-journalism-curriculum-to-change-its-faculty-needs-disruption/
- Royal, C. L. (2017). Coding the Curriculum. In Journalism Education Within Diverse Media Systems Worldwide: Making Professional Journalists.
- Royal, C. L. (2017). Your Guide to Social and Digital Certifications: Google, Facebook, HubSpot and More. MediaShift (Vol. July).
- Award / Honor Recipient: Everette Swinney Faculty Senate Excellence in Teaching Award. 2018 - 2019
- Award / Honor Nominee: Minnie Stevens Piper Professor Award, State of Texas. 2018 - 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Everette Swinney Faculty Senate Excellence in Teaching Award. 2017 - 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: EdShift20: Honoring Innovative Journalism Eductors, MediaShift. January 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Service. 2017
- Royal, Cindy L. PhDigital Bootcamp Extension, John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $150000. (Funded: 2018 - 2020). Grant.
- Royal, Cindy L. PhDigital Bootcamp, John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $75000. (Funded: 2017 - 2018). Grant.
- Royal, Cindy L, Blasingame, Dale C, Zmikly, Jonathan T. Teaching and Learning Technology Innovation Grant, Instructional Technologies Support, Texas State University, $5000. (Funded: July 2017). Grant.
- Blasingame, Dale C (Supporting), Royal, Cindy L (Principal), Zmikly, Jonathan T (Supporting). Teaching and Learning Technology Innovation, Instructional Technology Support, Texas State University, $5000. (Funded: March 24, 2017). Grant.
- Waite, Matt (Principal), Royal, Cindy L, Hernandez, Robert. Knight Challenge Fund Grant, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $35000. (Funded: 2014 - Present). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Academic Computing Committee
Media Innovation Lab
Digital Entrepreneurship Speaker Series
Digital Media Short Course Series
SJMC Faculty Facebook Group