Faculty Profile for Dr. Sandhya Rao
Biography and EducationDr. Sandhya Rao is a professor in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication and Honorary Professor of International Studies. She served as the Graduate Advisor for the Master’s in Mass Communication program for 15 years and as the Assistant Dean of the Graduate College for 12 years. She chaired the Task Force on Internationalization of Texas State University and launched the International Research Conference for Graduate Students. A Fulbright Scholar, she taught for a semester at Manipal University in India. She earned her Ph.D. degree at Bowling Green State University, Ohio.
Before coming to the United States, Dr. Rao worked as a journalist and public relations professional in India. She has received numerous honors and grants in her academic career. Her research focus is on the diffusion and uses of digital media technologies in the Asian region with particular emphasis on India. She has published two Books (edited): Cyberpath to Development in Asia--Issues and Challenges, Praeger; and Critical Issues in Communication: Looking Inward for Answers, Sage. She has also published numerous book chapters and journal articles. Dr. Rao has presented research papers at International, National and Regional Conferences.
Dr. Rao’s teaching areas are international communication, theory, research methods, public relations and travel journalism. She has designed and leads Study Abroad programs to Europe.
Dr. Rao has served on numerous university-wide, college and departmental committees and has also served as Faculty Senator. She is member of the International Advisory Council, the Center for Diversity and Gender Studies Advisory Council and the Study Abroad Advisory Board. She has served as the Head, International Communication Division, Association for the Education of Journalism and Mass Communication. She launched the International News Writing Contest for the International Communication Division of the AEJMC and coordinated it for several years. She has reviewed numerous books for various journals including The Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly and Journalism Educator.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Rao, S., Carter, D. W., Higgins Joyce, V. D., & Jeong, E. (2021). User Engagement and Activism on the DACA Hashtag: An Analysis of Tweets. Norteamérica, Revista Académica Del CISAN-UNAM, 17(1). https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.22201/cisan.24487228e.2022.1.498
- Rao, S., Sarabia-Panol, Z., Natesan, C., & Singleton, C. (2018). A Comparative Analysis of Twitter Data in the Aftermath of Floods in India and the Philippines Using the Participatory Communication Model. International Communication Research Journal, 53, 46--70.
- Rao, S. (2018, January 10). Texas State Students Discover London on Study Abroad Trip. San Antonio Express-News.
- Rao, S. (2017, July 6). Mysuru, A Royal Retreat. San Antonio Express-News.
- Rao, S. (2017, January). Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly. Sage.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alpha Chi Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi Honor Society. November 9, 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society Induction, Phi Kappa Phi Texas State Chapter. April 23, 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alpha Chi Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi Honor Society. November 13, 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Pi Gamma Mu Induction, Pi Gamma Mu Honor Society. 2013
- Award / Honor Recipient: Fulbright Scholar Award, US Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. January 2008 - May 2008
- Rao, Sandhya. Once a First-Gen, Always a First-Gen, Office of Equity and Inclusion, Texas State University, $1500. (Funded: August 2019). Grant.
- Rao, Sandhya. Common Experience Grant, Institutional (Higher Ed), $1000. (Funded: 2018). Grant.
- Rao, Sandhya. Common Experience Grant, $750. (Funded: 2017). Grant.
- Rao, Sandhya. Common Experience Grant, Common Experience Committee, Texas State University, $750. (Funded: 2016). Grant.
- Rao, Sandhya. Equity and Access Grant, Office of Equity and Access, Texas State University, $1500. (Funded: 2016). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
International Affairs Advisory Council
Study Abroad Advisory Council
Academic Program Director
London-Europe Study Abroad
Supervisor/Coordinator from The Graduate College
New Graduate Student Orientation
The Contemporary Austin