Faculty Profile for Dr. Judy Oskam
Biography and EducationDr. Judy Oskam has served as Professor and Director of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Texas State University since 2012. She is an Honorary Professor of International Studies. Oskam was Associate Professor and Associate Director for Round Rock Programs from 2006-2012. Before joining Texas State University, Oskam was an associate professor at Texas Tech University.
Oskam has a Bachelor of Arts degree in Radio/TV/Film from the University of North Texas, a Master of Science degree in Mass Communications and Doctorate in Higher Education Administration from Oklahoma State University. Earlier in her career, Oskam worked as a TV journalist, video producer and public relations professional.
• Member, Better Business Bureau serving the Heart of Texas
• Accredited in Public Relations (APR) from the Public Relations Society of America
• Online Learning Consortium Advanced Online Teaching Certificate
• Gallup-Certified Strengths Coach
• Certified Tiny Habits® Coach
• Completed 2021 Entrepreneurship Round Rock Program
• Oskam's podcast, Stories of Change and Creativity, features interviews with entrepreneurs who inspire, educate and motivate.
Gallup CliftonStrengths Top 5:
Ideation | Strategic | Futuristic | Significance | Responsibility
Teaching InterestsStrategic Communications
Research InterestsStrengths & Entrepreneurs
Behavior Design - Tiny Habits
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Alson, K., Oskam, J. B., Neil, J., Sorel, T., & Eschenfelder, C. (2022). Inclusive Well-Being for Students and Faculty: Best Practices that Universities Can Add to Journalism Curriculum for Student Mental Health and Creating a Positive Work Culture for Faculty Well-Being.
- Higgins Joyce, V. D., & Oskam, J. B. (2015). Texas State University MIPPA Project Report. County of Travis, State of Texas: Department of Aging and Disability Services.
- Producer/Writer/Director, Images of Tony Gleaton.
2004 - 2013.
- Television program. 2013 American Public Television, Distributed national to PBS Stations.
- Producer/Writer/Director, Barry Lopez: Working Writer.
- Texas Tech University Southwest Collection/Special Collections Libr. 2007 Traveling Exhibit, West Texas.
- Producer/Writer/Director, International Adoption:Changing Culture One Child at a Time.
- PBS television station. 2003 - 2004 KTXT-TV, Lubbock, Texas.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Honorary Professor of International Studies, Texas State University. November 13, 2018 - Present
- Award / Honor Nominee: Finalist - 2018 Administrator of the Year, Scripps Howard Foundation & AEJMC. October 2018 - August 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: John R. Hood Honors Professor of the Year, Honors College - Texas State University. 2011 - 2012
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alan Scott Rising Star Award, Texas Public Relations Association. 2009
- Award / Honor Recipient: Bronze Telly Award - Video Production/Documentary, The Telly Awards. 2008
- Kaufhold, William Thomas (Principal), Oskam, Judith B (Supporting), Devlin, Michael Brandon (Other). Communication Strategy Implementation Proposal, Texas Department of Health and Human Services, State, $636149.00. (Funded: July 2017 - December 2017). Grant.
- Craig, Clay Martin (Other), Kaufhold, William Thomas (Principal), Oskam, Judith B (Co-Principal). Communication Strategy Implementation Proposal, Texas Department of Health and Human Services, State, $636149. (Funded: July 2017 - December 2017). Grant.
- Oskam, Judith B, Kaufhold, K., Buschhorn, Higgins Joyce, Vanessa D, Boden-McGill, Taylor, James, Seed. Research project exploring ways to improve communication and outreach with rural and low income Medicare eligible Texans, State of Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services, State, $448818. (Funded: September 2015 - December 2015). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Board of Directors
Better Business Bureau serving the Heart of Texas
February 28, 2018-Present
Council of Chairs/Directors
Communication Advisory Board Member - College of Business and Communication
Concordia University Texas
Accrediting Council for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
2015-September 1, 2021
Department/Chair Leadership Committee