Faculty Profile for Dr. David S Nolan
Biography and EducationDr. David Nolan is a Regents' Teacher, Associate Professor of Practice, and Mass Communication Program Coordinator in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Texas State University. He teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in visual communication, media design, user experience and user interface design, photojournalism, visual storytelling, and digital video production in the School. He has taught at the university since 2003 and received a Ph.D. from Texas State in Education in 2012.
Nolan's photography has won numerous awards and has been featured in publications such as: Time, Newsweek, U.S. News and World Report, New York Times magazine, Life, New York Newsday, Air Force magazine, Los Angeles Times, Airman Magazine, Torch magazine, countless books, websites and other media.
In 2018 he was selected as a Regents' Teacher by the Texas State University System. In 2015 he was awarded the National Press Photographers Association Robin F. Garland Educator Award for outstanding service as a photojournalism educator and in the same year received the Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching at Texas State. In 2010 he received the Presidential Award for Excellence in Service at Texas State and in 2008 he was recognized as the Honors Professor of the Year at the university. He has coordinated and been on the faculty of the National Press Photographers Association’s Advanced Storytelling Workshop at Texas State since 2009.
Nolan’s professional career as a military combat photographer, director of photography, and photography editor spanned 24 years and all seven continents. He was the director of photography for Airman Magazine, the official magazine of the United States Air Force for many years and was a staff photojournalist before that. His last assignment was to the Middle East where he deployed three days after the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, to cover combat operations during the American invasion of Afghanistan before retiring from military service in 2003.
Teaching InterestsVisual Communication
User Experience & User Interface Design
Research InterestsVisual Communication
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Director, Decisive Moments, Decisive Change.
December 2018 - June 2019.
- VISCOMM 33. June 2019 The Visual Communication Conference, Mammoth Lakes, CA.
- Nolan, D. S. (2015, February). Visual Communication: Images With Messages. Hoboken, New Jersey, United States: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing.
- Nolan, D. S. (2012). Guides to Syllabus Change: Visual Communication. In S. Mayo & P. Larke (Eds.), Integrating Multiculturalism into the Curriculum: From the Liberal Arts to the Sciences. New York, New York, United States: Peter Lang Publishing, Inc.
- Nolan, D. S. (2010, December). Hoboken, New Jersey: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing.
- Director/Photographer/Editor, "The Little Bastard's Going to Do it".
- National Public Radio Online.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Everette Swinney Faculty Senate Excellence in Teaching Award, Faculty Senate, Texas State University. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Texas State University System Regents' Teacher, Texas State University System Board of Regents. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Excellence in Service, College of Fine Arts & Communication, Texas State University. 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Robin F. Garland Educator Award for Outstanding Service as a Photojournalism Educator, National Press Photographers Association. 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: University Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching, Texas State University Office of the President. 2015
- Nolan, David S. Drone Journalism School and Course Development, School of Journalism & Mass Communication, Texas State University, $1600.00. (Funded: April 2017). Grant.
- Nolan, David S. National Press Photographers Association Advanced Storytelling Workshop, Spectrum Communications, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $5000.00. (Funded: April 2017). Grant.
- Nolan, David S. National Press Photographers Association Advanced Storytelling Workshop, Time Warner Communications, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $5000.00. (Funded: April 2016). Grant.
- Nolan, David S. Advanced Online Course Development, Texas State University, Texas State University, $3500.00. (Funded: May 2015). Grant.
- Nolan, David S (Principal). National Press Photographers Association Advanced Storytelling Workshop, Time Warner Communications, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $5000.00. (Funded: April 2015). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Texas State University Alumni Association Board of Directors
Mass Communication Program
Coordinator / Organizer
National Press Photographers Association Advanced Storytelling Workshop
Texas State University Faculty Senate