Faculty Profile for Kym Fox
Biography and EducationKym Fox is a professor of practice and leads the journalism program in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Texas State University. She teaches undergraduate and graduate courses, including data journalism and the journalism capstone course. She also serves as the graduate assistant coordinator.
Fox moved from the newsroom to the classroom after spending 23 years as a daily journalist. She worked at the San Antonio Express-News as the deputy metro editor before joining the Texas State University faculty in 2002. Most of her 18 years at the paper she spent covering courts and legal affairs. Fox worked at the Mesa Tribune as a copy editor, section editor and reporter after graduating with a bachelor’s degree in journalism from Arizona State University. Fox also holds a master’s degree from the University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio. As a reporter she earned awards for coverage of child abuse and juvenile justice as well as state honors for news and feature writing.
A member of the Society of Professional Journalists since college, Fox is a member of the national SPJ education committee, a former national board member and has been honored with the SPJ President’s Award for work with the #Press4Education initiative, which serves scholastic journalism. She also is a member of Investigative Reporters and Editors.
Fox has twice been honored with the Texas State University Presidential Award for Excellence, once for service in 2008 and teaching in 2013.
Teaching InterestsData Journalism
Research InterestsData Journalism
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Fox, K. J. (2020). Teaching journalism during a pandemic: Compassion goes a long way in academia. Investigative Reporters & Editors Journal, 43, 37. Retrieved from https://www.ire.org/product/ire-journal-q3-2020
- Fox, K. J., Cain, B., McKerral, M., & Tallent, R. (2015). Still Captive? History, Law and the Teaching of High School Journalism. Stillwater, OK, United States: New Forums Press. Retrieved from https://newforums.com/our-titles/media-law/still-captive-history-law-teaching-high-school-journalism/
- Fox, K. J. (2009, August 6). Back to School: As mid-career journalists return to school, universities respond with tailored programs. SPJ’s Quill Magazine. Retrieved from https://www.spj.org/quill_issue.asp?ref=1573
- Fox, K. J. (2017). Photos for “Summer program takes college students to state and national parks” (Oct. 27, 2017). San Antonio, TX, United States: San Antonio Express-News. Retrieved from http://www.mysanantonio.com/lifestyle/travel-outdoors/article/Summer-program-takes-college-students-to-state-12311492.php#photo-14432092
- Fox, K. J., Anderson, A. L., Carson, J. A., Furness, S., Nielsen, E. A., Westerlund, J. F., & Holmes, D. J. (2016). Common Reading Program Faculty Guide 2016-17 – “What It Is Like to Go to War.” (C. S. Marquiss, Ed.).
- Award / Honor Recipient: President's Award, Society of Professional Journalists. September 13, 2020
- Award / Honor Nominee: David L. Eshelman Outstanding Campus Advisor Award, Society of Professional Journalists. 2015
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Award for Excellence in Service, Assistant Professor/Senior Lecturer level, College of Fine Arts & Communication, Texas State University. 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching - Assistant Professor/Senior Lecturer level, Texas State University. 2013
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Award for Excellence in Service, Assistant Professor/Senior Lecturer level, College of Fine Arts & Communication nominee, Texas State University. 2012
- Fox, Kymberly J (Co-Principal), Smith, B. (Principal). Visiting Hispanic Media Professionals Program Endowment, D.D. Hachar Charitable Trust Foundation, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $80000. (Funded: January 2010). Grant.
- Fox, Kymberly J (Principal). Dow Jones Urban Journalism Workshop-San Antonio College, Texas State University School of Journalism and Mass Communication, Texas State University, $45000. (Funded: June 2003 - June 2013). Grant.
- Fox, Kymberly J (Principal). Death Row and the Media, Common Experience, Texas State University, $750. (Submitted: September 2017, Funded: October 2017). Grant.
- Fox, Kymberly J (Principal). Covering Justice: The Media's Role in the Justice System, Common Experience, Texas State University, $750. (Submitted: September 2017, Funded: October 2017). Grant.
- Fox, Kymberly J. Dow Jones Multimedia Training Academy, Dow Jones Foundation and the University of Texas-El Paso, $2500. (Funded: June 2013). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Field of Study Advisory Committee
January 24, 2019-April 30, 2023
Society of Professional Journalists National Education Committee
January 2009-December 31, 2021
Common Experience, university committee
August 2010-May 2020
Investigative Reporters and Editors Curriculum Diversity Taskforce
May 23, 2022-Present