Faculty Profile for Michelle H Dahlenburg
Biography and EducationAs a theatre artist, educator, and facilitator, Michelle Dahlenburg works at the intersection of art and community, civic, and social change. Michelle is the former Artistic Director of Conspire Theatre, where she created and facilitated theatre and creative writing programs for women during incarceration and after for over 5 years. She teaches in the Theatre Department at Texas State University and is a story producer/performer for Mortified Austin. She has trained with Pig Iron Theatre, Hideout Theatre, Sojourn Theatre, and Ping Chong & Company, among others. Michelle was a 2013 Arts & Culture Fellow for the Rockwood Leadership Institute, and the 2014 recipient of the Part-Time Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award from Texas State University.
Michelle has also been program manager for HATCH, a project manager and audio producer for HATCH/Fusebox/Via Hope’s 4 Plus 4 Equals art and mental health project,an oral historian for Foodways Texas, and a workshop facilitator for Creative Action, Still Point Theatre Collective, American Theatre Company, Texas Folklife, the Paramount Theatre, the University of Texas at Austin, and many other organizations and projects.
As an actor, improviser, singer, and solo performer, Michelle has performed in Chicago and Austin companies such as Trouble Puppet, Pollyanna Theatre Company, the Hideout Theatre, Paper Chairs, the Story Wranglers, Mortified Austin, Erasing the Distance, Tantalus Theatre Group, Live Bait Theatre, Prop Thtr, American Theatre Company, Curious Theatre Branch, New Millennium Theatre Company, Texas State University, Baylor University, and the University of Texas at Austin.
Michelle holds an MFA in Drama and Theatre for Youth and Communities from the University of Texas at Austin.
Teaching InterestsCommunity-Based Theatre
Research InterestsCommunity-Based Theatre
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Actor, Are You Safe Yet?
January 2018 - February 2018.
- Frontera Fest Short Fringe. Hyde Park Theatre, Austin, TX.
- Actor/Improviser/Singer, Soundstage 23.
October 2017 - December 2017.
- October 2017 - December 2017 Hideout Theatre, Austin, Texas.
- Actor/Improviser, Rewind.
April 2017 - May 2017.
- April 2017 - May 2017 Hideout Theatre, Austin, Texas.
- Actor/Improviser, The Untitled Avant-Garde Theatre Project.
- Mi Casa Es Su Teatro at Frontera Fest. February 2017 - Present
- Playwright/Director/Producer/Actor, NextDoor in Real Life.
January 2017 - February 2017.
- Mi Casa Es Su Teatro at Frontera Fest. February 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Part-Time Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award, Texas State University. 2014
- Award / Honor Nominee: Winifred Ward Scholar Nominee for outstanding grad student in theatre education. 2010
- Award / Honor Recipient: Coleman A. Jennings Endowed Presidential Educational Theatre Scholarship. 2009
- Award / Honor Recipient: Morton Brown, Nellie Lea Brown and Minelma Brown Lockwood Scholarship. 2009
- Award / Honor Recipient: Oral History Association Student Conference Scholarship. 2009