Faculty Profile for Dr. Tricia Burke
Biography and EducationI received my B.A. (2005), M.A. (2007), and Ph.D. (2012) in Communication from the University of Arizona.
Research InterestsMy research program takes a theoretical and practical approach to understanding the intersection of interpersonal and health communication. More specifically, I am interested in interpersonal communication processes (e.g., social influence, support, conflict, social skills, intimate behaviors) as they relate to health/well-being and relationship quality in romantic and family relationships.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Menge, L. D., Hu, Y., Crixell, S. L., Lloyd, L. K., Bezner, J. R., & Burke, P. J. (2018). Influences on catered event ordering in a university workplace: development and validation of the Understanding Food Ordering survey. American Journal of Health Promotion, October, 1–4. https://doi.org/10.1177/0890117118807217
- Ruppel, E. K., Burke, T. J., & Cherney, M. (2018). Social compensation and enhancement via mediated communication in the transition to college. Human Communication Research, 44, 58–79. https://doi.org/doi:10.1093/hcf/hqx003
- Dailey, S. L., Burke, P. J., & Carberry, E. G. (2018). For better or for work: Dual discourses in a workplace wellness program. Management Communication Quarterly, 32(4), 612–626.
- Burke, T. J., & Rains, S. A. (2018). The paradoxical outcomes of observing others’ exercise behavior on social network sites: Friends’ exercise posts, exercise attitudes, and weight concern. Health Communication. https://doi.org/10.1080/10410236.2018.1428404
- Burke, T. J., Segrin, C., & Farris, K. N. L. (2018). Young adult and parent perceptions of facilitation: Associations with overparenting, family functioning, and student adjustment. Journal of Family Communication, 18, 233–247. https://doi.org/10.1080/15267431.2018.1467913
- Award / Honor Recipient: Online Teaching Award, Texas State University. 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award in Scholarship/Creative Activity, Texas State University. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Invited to Favorite Professor's Dinner, Alpha Chi, Texas State University. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award in Scholarship/Creative Activity, Texas State University. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Top Paper, Communication Education Interest Group, Central States Comm. Association. 2016
- Burke, T. J. Graduate and Professional Student Council Travel Grant, University of Arizona, $500. (Funded: 2011). Grant.
- Burke, T. J., Burns, Michael Edward. Building a Culture of Health at Work: Assessing and Fostering Supervisor Support, Texas State University, $16000. (Funded: December 2017 - December 2018). Grant.
- Burke, Patricia Jean (Principal), Haskard Zolnierek, Kelly B (Co-Principal), Howard, Krista J (Co-Principal), Lawrence, Grayson B (Co-Principal), Tamir, Dan (Co-Principal). Increasing Treatment Adherence in Patients with Metabolic Syndrome: Development of a Support Network Application, MIRG, Texas State University, $25000. (Funded: June 2016 - June 2017). Grant.
- Dailey, Stephanie Layne (Principal), Burke, T. J (Co-Principal). “Pumping Up” Survey Research: Boosting Participation in Texas State University’s Total Wellness Program, Research Enhancement Grant, Texas State University, $16000. (Funded: 2015 - 2016). Grant.
- Burke, T. J (Principal), Burns, Michael Edward. Investigating Family Communication and Mental Health during the Transition to College, Research Enhancement Grant, Texas State University, $16000. (Funded: 2013 - 2014). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Reviewer / Referee
Graduate Admissions Committee
Graduate Scholarship Committee
Graduate Hooding Ceremony Committee
Outstanding Graduate Student Award Committee