Faculty Profile for Dr. Melinda Villagran
Biography and EducationMelinda Villagran leads translational health research and sponsored programs as director of Texas State's Translational Health Research Initiative. She is also a professor in the Department of Communication Studies, and Principal Investigator of Networx, an mHealth program for women in Hays and Caldwell Counties. Her research and teaching seek to improve health outcomes and quality of life for at-risk populations through more effective health communication. She is the author of two books and over 65 peer-reviewed publications on communication topics. She has served as a guest editor for national and international journals, won several top paper awards, and has served as a scientific grant reviewer and editorial board member for regional, national, and international journals.
Teaching InterestsHealth communication campaigns and interventions; Empirical Research Methods; Training and Development; Population and Community Health; Team Science
Research Interestsnoodle soup, Translational Health Research; communication in hospitals; patient and provider communication; population and community health interventions; communication about cancer, end of life; health disparities (Persons with disabilities, Latinos, women, older adults); communication training; interdisciplinary teams; research mentoring; undergraduate research
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Villagran, M. M. (2017). Translating Research to Reality: Team Science. Engaging Research (1st ed., Vol. 1). Retrieved from http://gato-docs.its.txstate.edu/jcr:5491dab0-03e6-4e20-a406-ed923bb4c80a/ORSP%20Newsletter%20Fall%202017.pdf
- Villagran, M. M., MacArthur, B. L., Lee, L. E., Ledford CJW, & Canzona, M. R. (2017). Physicians’ Religious Topic Avoidance during Clinical Interactions. Behavioral Sciences (Basel, Switzerland), 7(2). https://doi.org/10.3390/bs7020030
- MacArthur, B. L., Dailey, S. L., & Villagran, M. M. (2016). Understanding healthcare providers’ professional identification: The role of interprofessional communication in the vocational socialization of physicians. Journal of Interprofessional Education & Practice, 5, 11–17.
- Canzona, M. R., Peterson, E. B., Villagran, M. M., & Seehusen, D. A. (2015). Constructing and Communicating Privacy Boundaries: How Family Medicine Physicians Manage Patient Requests for Religious Disclosure in the Clinical Interaction. Health Communication, 30(10), 1001–1012.
- MacArthur, B. L., & Villagran, M. M. (2015). Instructor Misbehaviors as Digital Expectancy Violations What Students Despise and What They Let Slide. Journalism & Mass Communication Educator, 1077695814566046.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Showcase Seminar Distinguished Scholar Award, University of Oklahoma. 2018 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Currently Serving Spouse Advisory award, Military Officers of America. 2009 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Award for Scholarly and Creative Activity. 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Rockefeller Brothers Fund Mentor for Students of Color Entering the Teaching Profession. 2003
- Award / Honor Recipient: Teaching Award of Merit. 2009
- Villagran, Melinda Morris (Principal), Burney, Marsha N (Supporting), Keeley-Vassberg, Maureen (Supporting). Networx: A Virtual Safety Net to Improve Postpartum Health, St Davids Foundation, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $209633. (Submitted: October 2017, Funded: January 2018 - December 2019). Grant.
- Villagran, Melinda Morris (Principal), Villagran, Paul David (Co-Principal), Burney, Marsha N. Sexual Health Assessment and Risk Education, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Federal, $900000. (Funded: September 30, 2015 - September 30, 2018). Grant.
- Villagran, Melinda Morris (Principal). Bienestar Coalition, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Federal, $694000. (Funded: September 2014 - October 2017). Grant.
- Villagran, Melinda Morris (Principal). Project 6C: Improving Adjuvant Therapy Adherence Among Diverse Cancer Patients with Limited Health Literacy, Inova Hospital System. (Funded: 2009 - 2012). Grant.
- Villagran, Melinda Morris (Other). DoD Joint Course in Communication – A training and education program for active-duty military members and civilians, Department of Defense, Federal. (Funded: 1997 - 2001). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Texas State Council on Funded Research
Texas State Health Scholar Showcase
Translational Health Research Initiative
LBJ Distinguished Lecture Series
University Strategic Planning Process - Innovation "Read Across"