Faculty Profile for Dr. Melinda Villagran
Teaching InterestsHealth communication campaigns and interventions;
Communication in Health Organizations; Empirical Research Methods; Training and Development; Population and Community Health; Team Science
Research Interestscommunication in hospitals; patient and provider communication; population and community health interventions; communication about sexual risk behaviors, cancer, end of life; communication with marginalized patient populations (Persons with disabilities, Latinos, women, older adults); communication training; interdisciplinary teams; research mentoring; undergraduate research
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Villagran, M. M. (2017). Translating Research to Reality: Team Science. Engaging Research (1st ed., Vol. 1). Retrieved from http://gato-docs.its.txstate.edu/jcr:5491dab0-03e6-4e20-a406-ed923bb4c80a/ORSP%20Newsletter%20Fall%202017.pdf
- Villagran, M. M., MacArthur, B. L., Lee, L. E., Ledford CJW, & Canzona, M. R. (2017). Physicians’ Religious Topic Avoidance during Clinical Interactions. Behavioral Sciences (Basel, Switzerland), 7(2). https://doi.org/10.3390/bs7020030
- MacArthur, B. L., Dailey, S. L., & Villagran, M. M. (2016). Understanding healthcare providers’ professional identification: The role of interprofessional communication in the vocational socialization of physicians. Journal of Interprofessional Education & Practice, 5, 11–17.
- Canzona, M. R., Peterson, E. B., Villagran, M. M., & Seehusen, D. A. (2015). Constructing and Communicating Privacy Boundaries: How Family Medicine Physicians Manage Patient Requests for Religious Disclosure in the Clinical Interaction. Health Communication, 30(10), 1001–1012.
- MacArthur, B. L., & Villagran, M. M. (2015). Instructor Misbehaviors as Digital Expectancy Violations What Students Despise and What They Let Slide. Journalism & Mass Communication Educator, 1077695814566046.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Award for Scholarly and Creative Activity. 2014
- Award / Honor Nominee: GMU Emerging Scholar, University-level Research Award, GMU. 2010
- Award / Honor Recipient: Teaching Award of Merit. 2009
- Award / Honor Recipient: Teaching Award of Merit. 2008
- Award / Honor Recipient: Teaching Award of Merit. 2005
- Villagran, Melinda Morris. Summer Research Enhancement Grant funding for research on organizational communication in health care environments, Texas State University. (Funded: 2012). Grant.
- Villagran, Melinda Morris (Principal). Communicating about Complementary and Alternative Medicine among Mexican-Americans, GMU Provost’s Office Summer Funding, Institutional (Higher Ed). (Funded: 2008). Grant.
- Villagran, Melinda Morris. Summer Research Enhancement Grant funding for research on communicating about cancer., University of Texas Health Science Center, Institutional (Higher Ed). (Funded: 2004). Grant.
- Villagran, Melinda Morris. Summer Research Enhancement Grant funding for research on organizational communication in health care environments, Texas State University. (Funded: 2002). Grant.
- Villagran, Melinda Morris. Statistical analysis of data for Oklahoma home healthcare organizations, Oklahoma Home Healthcare Association. (Funded: 2000). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Texas State Representative at National Meeting in Washington DC
Featured in Texas State video on Research for Board of Regents
University Of Oklahoma
Hays County Early Childhood Coalition