Faculty Profile for Dr. Philip Joseph Salem
Biography and EducationHe has directed over 500 student assessments of organizational communication, and he has conducted over 150 organizational communication consultant interventions. He is one of the first people to study or teach about communication and technology, and he is the author of one of the first textbooks on the topic. Other recent work relates complexity theory to human communication, and to communication and organizational change. He was instrumental in establishing the Texas State Mediation Program. He was the third person to receive the Outstanding Member Award for Contributions to the Discipline and the Association from the Organizational Communication Division of the International Communication Association.
Teaching InterestsOrganizational communication, human communication technology, conflict management.
Research InterestsOrganizational communication, human communication technology, complexity theory, conflict management, communication networks,
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Salem, P. J., & Timmerman, C. E. (2018). Transformative practice and research in organizational communication. Transformative Practice and Research in Organizational Communication. Hershey, PA, USA: IGI Global. https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-5225-2823-4
- Salem, P. J., & Timmerman, C. E. (2018). Forty years of organizational communication. In Transformative practice and research in organizational communication (pp. 1–28). Hershey, PA, USA: IGI Global.
- Salem, P. J. (2018). Transformative organizational communication practices. In Transformative practices and research in organizational communication (pp. 109–129). Hersey, PA, USA: IGI Global.
- Salem, P. J. (2016). Human communication technology. Austin, Texas, USA: Sentia Publishing.
- Salem, P. J. (2013). The complexity of human communication. Cresskill, NJ, USA: Hampton Press.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Co-Director of “Organizational Communication Traditions, Transitions, and Transformations,” a conference and post-doctoral program, Conference co-sponsors include the National Communication Association, the International Communication Association, and the Academy of Management. 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: A Legacy of Excellence by Dr. Philip Salem: 40 years in the Department of Communication Studies, Special Communication Week Program, San Marcos, TX. 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Fulbright Senior Specialist. 2007 - 2012
- Award / Honor Recipient: One of nine scholars invited to be part of the panel A Tribute to organizational communication: A celebration of the golden (50th) anniversary of the field of organizational communication, National Communication Association Conference, meeting in New Orleans. 2002
- Award / Honor Recipient: Outstanding Member Award for Contributions to the Discipline and the Association, Organizational Communication Division of the International Communication Association. 1986
- Salem, Philip Joseph. The complexity of communication networks, Texas State Faculty Research Enhancement Grant, Texas State University, $5840.00. (Funded: 2012). Grant.
- Salem, Philip Joseph. Fulbright Senior Specialist. (Funded: 2007 - 2012). Grant.
- Salem, Philip Joseph (Principal), Shockley-Zalabak, P.. United States of America and European Community joint consortia for cooperation in higher education and vocational education, Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education, U. S. Department of Education, Federal, $64000. (Funded: 2000 - 2002). Grant.
- Salem, Philip Joseph (Principal), Williams, M. L. (Co-Principal). Innovation effectiveness and decision-making: Organizational factors associated with the success of drug and alcohol abuse education programs, Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education, U. S. Department of Education, Federal, $15000. (Funded: 1990 - 1991). Grant.
- Salem, Philip Joseph. Developmental Leave, Provost or Vice president for Academic Affairs, Texas State University, Texas State University. (Funded: 2014). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Reviewer / Referee
Corporate Communication: An International Journal
Editorial Review Board Member
Journal of Applied Communication Research
Reviewer / Referee
Management Communication Quarterly
Reviewer / Referee
Review of Communication Research