Faculty Profile for Dr. Roseann M Mandziuk
Biography and EducationRoseann M. Mandziuk is a University Distinguished Professor in the Department of Communication Studies. She earned her Ph.D. in Rhetorical Studies from the University of Iowa, her M.S. in Communication from Illinois State University, and her B.A. in Speech and in English from Wayne State University. She has been a member of the faculty at Texas State University since 1987.
Roseann’s research focuses upon images of women, the rhetorical uses of history, and the construction of public memory in museums and monuments. She has co-authored a scholarly book about the rhetoric of Sojourner Truth, published numerous articles and book chapters examining historical and contemporary rhetoric, and served as Editor of Women’s Studies in Communication. She has received two Fulbright Scholar Awards, in India and in Poland, and has presented numerous international research lectures. She also was selected as an American Council on Education Fellow.
Roseann’s extensive professional service contributions include currently serving as Vice President of the National Communication Association, and she will ascend to President of NCA in 2022. She also has served as President of the Southern States Communication Association, two terms as Finance Board Chair and twelve years as a member of the Affirmative Action/Intercaucus Committee for the National Communication Association, and fifteen years as Chair of the Presidential Work Life Advisory Council on her campus. She has served on numerous editorial boards including Quarterly Journal of Speech and Women’s Studies in Communication, as well as regional and national association publication, nomination, and award committees. Her contributions have been recognized with national and regional professional association awards for teaching, mentoring, and research, including the 2020 Distinguished Service Award from SSCA, the 2017 Francine Merritt Award for Contributions to Women in Communication from the NCA Women’s Caucus, and the 2014 Michael M. Osborn Teacher-Scholar Award from SSCA.
Teaching InterestsRhetorical theory and criticism
Research InterestsPublic memory
Cultural analysis of popular media
Women's public address
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Mandziuk, R. M. (n.d.). Crucial Intersections: Public Memory and/as Rhetorical History. In Reframing Rhetorical History. Tuscaloosa, AL, USA: University of Alabama Press.
- Mandziuk, R. M. (2020). Suffer the Little Children: Propriety and Piety in the 1963 Birmingham, Alabama Youth Demonstrations for Civil Rights. In S. P. O’Rourke & L. K. Pace (Eds.), Like Wildfire: The Rhetoric of the Civil Rights Sit-Ins (pp. 167–186). University of South Carolina Press.
- Mandziuk, R. M. (2018). Driving Her to Distraction: Women, Modernity, and the Disciplinary Discourse of 1920s Automobile Advertising. In K. Golombisky (Eds.), What’s the Big Idea? Feminist Perspectives on Advertising (pp. 83–100). Lexington Press.
- Mandziuk, R. M. (2017). Whither the Good Wife? 2016 Presidential Candidate Spouses in the Gendered Spaces of Contemporary Politics. Quarterly Journal of Speech, 103(1–2), 136–159.
- Mandziuk, R. M. (2014). Grotesque and Ludicrous, but Yet Inspiring’: Depictions of Sojourner Truth and Rhetorics of Domination. Quarterly Journal of Speech, 100.4, 1–21.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Fulbright-Nehru Professional Excellence Award, United States India Educational Foundation. 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Francine Merritt Award for Contributions to Women in Communication, National Communication Association. November 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Fulbright Scholar Award, US-Poland Fulbright Association. 2011
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Excellence in Teaching, Texas State University. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: T. Earle Johnson-Edwin Paget Distinguished Service Award, Southern States Communication Association. 2020
- Mandziuk, Roseann M. Fulbright Scholar Award, CIES, Federal. (Submitted: August 1, 2017, Funded: May 2019). Grant.
- Mandziuk, Roseann M. Faculty Development Leave, Texas State University. (Submitted: October 2019, Funded: January 2021 - May 2021). Grant.
- Mandziuk, Roseann M. Advocacy and Public Memory: The National Women’s History Museum, Faculty Research Enhancement Grant, Texas State University. (Funded: 2014 - 2015). Grant.
- Mandziuk, Roseann M. Development Leave, National Women’s History Museum in Alexandria, VA, Texas State University. (Funded: 2014). Grant.
- Mandziuk, Roseann M. Fulbright Scholar, Warsaw School of Social Sciences and Humanities, Federal. (Funded: February 2011 - June 2011). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
National Communication Association
Communication Advisory Committee, SAFE, Inc. - Stop Abuse For Everyone,
Presidential Work Life Advisory Council
University Honors College Advisory Council
President’s Council for Women In Higher Education