Faculty Profile for Dr. Marian Houser
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Burns, M. E., Houser, M. L., & LeBlanc Farris, K. (2017). Theory of Planned Behavior in the Classroom: An Examination of the Instructor-Confirmation Model. Higher Education, 18, 1–18.
- Houser, M. L. (n.d.). Instructional Communication Theory. In An Integrated Approach to Communication Theory and Research. New York, NY, USA: Routledge: Taylor & Francis.
- Houser, M. L., Sidelinger, R., & Hosek, A. M. (n.d.). Pedagogy, gender, and communication: Learning and unlearning gender. Journal of Communication Pedagogy.
- Generous, M. A., & Houser, M. L. (n.d.). Oh, S**t! Did I Just Swear in Class?”: Using emotional response theory to understand the role of instructor swearing in the college classroom. Communication Quarterly. https://doi.org/10.1080/01463373.2019.1573200
- Farris, K. L., Houser, M. L., & Hosek, A. N. (2018). Historical roots and trajectories of instructional communication. In Handbook of instructional communication.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Distinguished Article Award, Instructional Development Division of the National Communication Association. May 2018 - November 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Top Paper Award - Instructional Development Division, NCA. May 2018 - November 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor Award, Alfred H. Nolle Chapter of Alpha Chi National Honor Scholarship Society. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Research Fellow of the Eastern Communication Association. April 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Top Paper Award, Instructional Communication Interest Group, Eastern Communication Association. April 2014
Selected Service Activities
PhD Program Development Committee
CoSearch Research Weekend
Basic Communication Course Task Force
Reviewer / Referee
Instructional Development Division
Editorial Review Board Member
Basic Communication Course Annual, American Press