Faculty Profile for Dr. Marian Houser
Biography and EducationBA - University of Missouri-Columbia: Communication Studies
MA - Miami (Ohio) University: Communication Studies
PhD - University of Tennessee-Knoxville: Communication Studies and Adult Education
Teaching InterestsCommunication Research Methods
Gender and Communication
Small Group Communication
Research InterestsInterpersonal Communication in the Instructional Context
The Student-Teacher Relationship
Conducting Workshops that assist others in living their "Best Self--Best Life"
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Houser, M. L., Farris, K. N. L., Kauer, T., & Carpenter Kennedy, L. (n.d.). The road to hel(l)icopter teaching: How do instructors make sense of their helicopter teaching behaviors and student effects? Qualitative Research Reports in Communication., https://doi.org/10.1080/17459435.2020.1853209.
- Hildenbrand, G., & Houser, M. L. (2020). An Investigation of Student Learner Orientation Impact on Perceptions of Instructor Behavior Alteration Techniques. Educational Research Quartley, 43(3), 3–23. Retrieved from https://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ1243864
- Burns, M. E., Houser, M. L., & LeBlanc Farris, K. (2017). Theory of Planned Behavior in the Classroom: An Examination of the Instructor-Confirmation Model. Higher Education, 18, 1–18.
- Farris, K. N. L., Dye, L. A., Houser, M. L., & Timmerman, C. E. (n.d.). Student Perceptions of Instructor Communication amid Class Disruption: Lessons Learned from the COVID-19 Pandemic. In COVID and Higher Education: Teaching and Learning. Lexington Books.
- Waldbuesser, C., Houser, M. L., Hosek, A. N., & Hackenberg, L. (n.d.). Teacher experiences in the classroom: Identity, confirmation, and perceptions of students. Northwest Journal of Communication.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Top Panel Award, National Communication Association. March 2020 - November 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential College Award for Service, College of Fine Arts and Communication. January 2020 - August 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alfred H. Nolle Chapter of Alpha Chi National Honor Scholarship Society, Alpha Chi National Honor Society. 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Top Panel Award, National Communication Association Instructional Development Division. March 2019 - November 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Distinguished Article Award, Instructional Development Division of the National Communication Association. May 2018 - November 2018
Selected Service Activities
MWI: Powered by CoSearch
General Education Council of Texas State University
PhD Program Development Committee
CoSearch Research Weekend
Basic Communication Course Task Force