Faculty Profile for Dr. Rebekah L Fox
Biography and EducationPh.D. Purdue University, Communication
M.A. University of Arkansas, Communication
B.A. University of Arkansas, Communication
*Health Services Research and Development Associated Post-Doctoral Fellow Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center, Indianapolis, Indiana
Teaching InterestsRhetorical Methods, Rhetorical Criticism, Freedom of Speech and Extremism, Organizational Rhetoric, Persuasion, Environmental Communication
Research InterestsDr. Fox's research falls into three categories; 1) organizational rhetoric, with a focus on power, control and learning in organizations, 2) health communication with a focus on the U.S. nursing shortage and nursing work, and 3) the rhetoric of social movements, with foci in environmental rhetoric, freedom of expression, and political communication.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Dewberry, D. R., Burnette, A. E., Fox, R. L., & Arneson, P. (2018). Teaching free speech across the communication studies curriculum. First Amendment Studies. https://doi.org/10.1080/21689725.2018.1500930
- Fox, R. L. (2020). Sam Houston Helicopter Accident Facilitated Learning Analysis. Wildland Lessons Learned Center. Retrieved from https://www.wildfirelessons.net/HigherLogic/System/DownloadDocumentFile.ashx?DocumentFileKey=ee2087de-e581-1e1d-fdba-4eb08def28a7&forceDialog=0
- Fox, R. L. (2020). White River Helicopter Accident Facilitated Learning Analysis. Wildland Lessons Learned Center. Retrieved from https://www.wildfirelessons.net/HigherLogic/System/DownloadDocumentFile.ashx?DocumentFileKey=36b978fd-6ec6-0ff5-cceb-1d0ffebbfdcc&forceDialog=0
- Fox, R. L. (2020). Polles Fire, Rock IWI, Arizona, Facilitated Learning Analysis.
- Fox, R. L., & Burnette, A. E. (n.d.). Feel Free to Agree: Promoting American Exceptionalism as Educational Ideology in the Texas Education Knowledge Standards. Journal of Contemporary Rhetoric. Retrieved from http://contemporaryrhetoric.com/
- Award / Honor Recipient: Dean's Seminar: Rhetoric and Resilience: Learning from Unintended Outcomes and the Vital Role of Narrative, Dean of the College of Fine Arts and Communication-John Fleming. October 30, 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Award for Excellence in Service, Texas State University. June 4, 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Co-Search Research Start-Up Weekend, 2nd Place Winner, Texas State University College of Fine Arts and Communication. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Service, Department of Communication Studies. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Service, College of Fine Arts and Communication. 2017
- Ashford-Hanserd, Shetay Nicole (Principal), Sarmiento, Eric Ryan (Co-Principal), Rayburn, Steven W (Co-Principal), Myles, Colleen Crystal (Co-Principal), Davio, Rebecca Lynn (Supporting), Fox, Rebekah L (Supporting), Guajardo, Miguel (Supporting), Valencia, Louie Dean (Supporting), Valle, Rosina Ruiz (Supporting). 03i.#ReclaimDunbar: A community needs assessment for the Dunbar arts, cultural and innovation district, Multidisciplinary Team Formation (MTI) Grant, Texas State University, Texas State University, $1000. (Funded: July 1, 2018 - December 31, 2019). Grant.
- Roundtree, Aimee Kendall (Supporting), Fox, Rebekah L (Principal). Communicating about Wildfire in the WUI for Public Safety and a Healthy Urban Forest, Austin Community Foundation, Other, $25000. (Funded: 2016 - 2018). Grant.
- Farris, Kristen Nacole LeBlanc (Supporting), Fox, Rebekah L (Principal), Roundtree, Aimee Kendall (Co-Principal). Bridging the Classroom and the Clinic: Communication Skills Training for Certified Nursing Assistants, Texas State University, Texas State University, $16000. (Funded: 2015). Grant.
- Fox, Rebekah L. Listening for Resilience: Expert Fire Managers Share Crucial Experience Summer, Research Enhancement Program (REP) Grant, Texas State University, $8000. (Funded: 2014). Grant.
- Fox, Rebekah L. (Principal), Roundtree, Aimee K (Co-Principal). Bridging The Classroom and the Clinic: Experiential Learning and Nursing Training Curriculum, Texas State University, $16000. (Submitted: 2016). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
COVID-19 Communication Work Group
Reviewer / Referee
Management Communication Quarterly
Pandemic Sensemaking Team Member, Human Performance & Innovation and Organizational Learning (HP&IOL), United States Forest Service,
Graduate Student Mentor
Graduate Student Mentor