Faculty Profile for Dr. Michael Edward Burns
Biography and EducationDr. Burns is a Senior Lecturer and Director of Career Readiness in the Department of Communication Studies and he also serves as the Co-Director for the College of Fine Arts and Communication's research program, CoSearch. He teaches large lectures of COMM 1310 and several other courses including: training and development, small group communication, interpersonal communication, sport communication, leadership, persuasion, and honors courses titled Re-Humanizing Communication and Talking Like TED. Dr. Burns is also one of the co-curators for TEDxTexasStateUniversity.
Dr. Burns' professional experiences outside of academia include working for NBC’s Today Show at the 2006 Torino, 2008 Beijing, 2012 London, 2016 Rio de Janeiro, and 2018 PyeongChang Olympic Games. While at the Today Show he works on the production management and logistics team while overseeing their intern program. Dr. Burns also worked as a communication specialist for the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
Dr. Burns is an applied communication researcher and conducts theoretically based research with practical applications. He has published and presented research in the areas of persuasion, message development, higher education and the college transition, narrative influence, interpersonal communication, and family communication. Dr. Burns uses mix methods in his research. He is an active member of the Central States Communication Association and the National Communication Association.
Research InterestsApplied Communication, Instructional Communication, Training & Development, Assessment, Persuasion, Social Influence, Higher Education , Interpersonal and Family Communication
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Burns, M. E., Farris, K. N. L., Paz, M. A., & Dyhre, S. D. (n.d.). Thriving Instead of Surviving: The Role of the Reasoned Action Model in Assessing the Basic Course. Basic Communication Course Annual.
- Burns, M. E., Houser, M. L., & LeBlanc Farris, K. (2017). Theory of Planned Behavior in the Classroom: An Examination of the Instructor-Confirmation Model. Higher Education, 18, 1–18.
- Burns, M. E., Farrell, L. C., Pearson, J. C., & Jorgenson, D. (2016). Spirituality’s influence on interpersonal competence and friend group satisfaction. Journal of the Communication, Speech, and Theater Association of North Dakota, 29, 28–41.
- Burns, M. E. (2015). Recruiting prospective students with stories: How personal stories influence the process of choosing a university. Communication Quarterly, 63, 99–118. https://doi.org/10.1080/01463373.2014.965838
- Burns, M. E., & Pearson, J. C. (2011). An exploration of family communication environment, everyday talk, and family satisfaction. Communication Studies, 62, 171–185. https://doi.org/10.1080/10510974.2010.523507
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Award of Excellence for Service, Texas State University. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award in Service, Texas State University. 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Top Paper Award Communication Education Division, International Communication Association. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Bobcat Preview Namesake, Bobcat Preview. 2016 - 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: John R. Hood Honors Professor of the Year, The Honors College. 2016 - 2017
- Burns, Michael Edward, Farris, Kristen Nacole LeBlanc, Burney, Marsha N. TEDxTexasStateUniversity, Common Experience, Texas State University, $1000. (Funded: December 2018). Grant.
- DeMuynck, Jacqueline Patrice (Principal), Head, Katherine Michelle (Co-Principal), Galarza, Jason Lee (Co-Principal), Farris, Kristen Nacole LeBlanc (Supporting), Burns, Michael Edward (Supporting), Paz, Mark A (Supporting), LeClair, Cassandra Fay (Supporting), Frei, Seth Steven (Supporting). TEDx Texas State University, Common Experience, Texas State University, $1000. (Submitted: September 2019). Grant.
- Burke, T. J., Burns, Michael Edward. Building a Culture of Health at Work: Assessing and Fostering Supervisor Support, Texas State University, $16000. (Funded: December 2017 - December 2018). Grant.
- Burke, T. J (Principal), Burns, Michael Edward. Investigating Family Communication and Mental Health during the Transition to College, Research Enhancement Grant, Texas State University, $16000. (Funded: 2013 - 2014). Grant.
- Burns, Michael Edward. Special Olympics of Texas, Research and Training, $7000. (Funded: 2014). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Houston-Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation Scholars Program
TEDx Committee: Department of Communication Studies, Texas State University
CoSearch, Texas State University
Faculty in Residence Texas State University
July 2013-May 2019