Faculty Profile for Dr. Mary Odum Dixon
Biography and EducationPhD, Texas A&M University
MS, The Citadel
BA, Erskine College
Dr. Odum serves Texas State University as an Assistant Professor of Public Health in the Department of Health and Human Performance. Her primary research focuses on socio-ecological influences on obesity and chronic health conditions and creating community-based interventions that target health behavior change (primarily nutrition) to reduce individual and familial risk of obesity and chronic diseases.
Many of the research questions Dr. Odum pursues are best answered with qualitative methodologies, but she values and uses quantitative and mixed-methods research approaches as appropriate for the context. She also appreciates and engages in multi-disciplinary approaches to scholarship and community building. In community-based interventions, Dr. Odum uses a community-based participatory approach as means to build community capacity and improve health outcomes.
Dr. Odum's work has been published in leading health promotion journals, including Journal of School Health, Journal of American College Health, and American Journal of Health Behavior.
***Please note that the use of the name Dixon in this faculty profile is a result of an automated university records system and does not reflect Dr. Odum's name as it appears on published scholarly products.
Teaching Interests-public health program planning and evaluation
-community health needs assessments
-public health writing
-health behavior theory
Research Interests-socio-ecological influences on obesity and nutrition-related chronic health conditions
-community-based nutrition programs
-community-based participatory research (CBPR)
-scholarship of teaching and learning
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Williams, R. D., Housman, J. M., Dixon, M. O., & Alissa, R. (2017). Energy drink use linked to high-sugar beverage intake and BMI among teens. American Journal of Health Behavior, 41(3), 259–265.
- Odum, M., Meaney, K. S., & Knudson, D. V. (2021). Active learning classroom design and student engagement: An exploratory study. Journal of Learning Spaces, 10(1), 27–42. Retrieved from http://libjournal.uncg.edu/jls/article/view/2102
- Housman, J. M., & Odum, M. (n.d.). Alters & Schiff essential concepts for healthy living (9th ed.).
- Odum, M., Meaney, K. S., & Knudson, D. V. (2020). Active learning training and classroom renovation: Exploring student and faculty perceptions in health and human performance disciplines. Journal of Learning Spaces, 9(1).
- Khanhkham, A., Williams, R. D., Housman, J. M., & Odum, M. (2020). Sexual dating violence, school-based violence, and risky behaviors among U.S. high school students. Journal of Community Health, 45(5), 932–942. https://doi.org/doi:10.1007/s10900-020-00811-1
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award in Service, College of Education, Texas State University. 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award in Teaching, College of Education, Texas State University. 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Teaching, College of Education, Texas State University. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Service, College of Education, Texas State University. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Service, College of Education, Texas State University. 2015
- Oakes, Lindsey Ryan (Principal), Liu, Ting (Co-Principal), Dixon, Mary Odum (Co-Principal), Dailey, Stephanie Layne (Co-Principal), Asiabanpour, Bahram (Co-Principal), Okuda, Paola (Co-Principal). Using Photovoice to Zoom in on Disability and Increase Community Inclusion, Texas State University. (Submitted: October 2020). Grant.
- Odum, Mary (Principal), Housman, Jeff M (Co-Principal). Childhood Obesity Prevention for Low-income, Minority Families in San Marcos, Texas, Texas State University, $16000. (Funded: 2016 - 2017). Grant.
- Odum, Mary (Co-Principal), Wiley, David C. (Principal). Evaluating graduate student writing: productivity, anxiety, and self-regulatory efficacy, College of Education Faculty Pilot Research Grant, Texas State University, $5000. (Funded: 2014 - 2015). Grant.
- Odum, Mary (Principal), Goodson, Pat (Co-Principal). Leonard Ponder Endowed Chair Research Grant, Texas A&M University, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $2500. (Submitted: August 1, 2011). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
College of Education scholarship committee
Reviewer / Referee
Journal of American College Health
Reviewer / Referee
Health Behavior Research
Graduate College Scholarships committee
Reviewer / Referee
Preventive Medicine Reports