Faculty Profile for Dr. Ron Williams Jr.
Biography and EducationRon Williams, Jr. earned his Ph.D. in public health education and promotion from the University of Alabama and has held faculty positions at Southeast Missouri State University, Mississippi State University, and Texas State University. He is currently a Professor of Public Health within the Department of Health and Human Performance at Texas State where he also serves as the Graduate Program Coordinator. His research focuses primarily on the social ecology of substance abuse prevention with specific emphasis on alcohol and energy drink risks and advocacy for tobacco-free initiatives. His research also explores other adolescent health risks including physical and sexual violence victimization. He has secured over $2.8 million in funding for community health and prevention research projects from organizations such as the Texas Department of State Health Services, U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, and the Missouri Foundation for Health. Dr. Williams’ research has been featured in leading drug prevention journals such as Substance Use and Misuse, the American Journal on Addictions, the Journal of Child and Adolescent Substance Abuse, and the Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Other Drugs. Additionally, he has published in top public health journals including the American Journal of Health Education, the Journal of Community Health, the American Journal of Health Promotion, and Health Promotion Practice. As a Certified Health Education Specialist®, Dr. Williams has expertise in program evaluation and has served as lead evaluator for numerous substance abuse prevention and treatment programs. He has also served as an evaluation consultant for the U.S. Center for Substance Use Prevention’s Service to Science Initiative.
Teaching InterestsPublic health research methods, program planning and evaluation, grant writing
Research InterestsSubstance abuse prevention, alcohol and energy drinks, tobacco-free and smoke-free advocacy, social ecology of health
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Hawk, C., Amorin-Woods, L., Evans, Jr., M. W., Whedon, J., Daniels, C., Williams, R. D., … Redwood, D. (2021). The role of chiropractic care in providing health promotion and clinical preventive services for adult patients with musculoskeletal pain: A clinical practice guideline. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. https://doi.org/DOI: 10.1089/acm.2021.0184
- Kim, J., Kim, J., Williams, R. D., & Han, A. (2021). The association of social support and leisure time physical activity with mental health among individuals with cancer. American Journal of Health Promotion, 35(3), 362–368. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1177/0890117120961321
- Khankhkam, A., Williams, R. D., Housman, J. M., & Odum, M. (2020). Sexual dating violence, school-based violence, and risky behaviors among U.S. high school students. Journal of Community Health, 45, 932–942.
- Williams, R. D., Housman, J. M., & McDonald, J. D. (2020). If we build it, will they come? Challenges of adapting and implementing a smoking cessation program for the LGBTQ community in Southcentral Texas. Health Promotion Practice, 118S-123S.
- Williams, R. D., Housman, J. M., & Evans, J. L. (2018). Continued reduction of particulate matter in bars six months after adoption of a smoke-free ordinance. Journal of Environmental Health, 81(1), 8–15.
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award in Service, College of Education. 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award in Teaching, Texas State University. 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2019 College Achievement Award for Service, College of Education. 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2019 Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Scholarly and Creative Activities, Texas State University. 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2017 Jack Davis Professional Achievement Award, University of Alabama College of Human Environmental Sciences. October 2017
- Housman, Jeff M (Principal), Williams, Ronald Daniel (Principal). Tobacco Quit Line Evaluation and Outreach Assistance: Fresh Start Cessation Project, Texas Department of State Health Services & Texas A&M University Center for Community Health Development, State, $5851. (Funded: January 2017 - December 2017). Grant.
- Housman, Jeff M (Principal), Williams, Ronald D (Co-Principal), McDonald, Jackie (Co-Principal), Evans, Jennifer (Co-Principal). Tobacco Quit Line Evaluation and Outreach Assistance: The Last Drag Tobacco Cessation Program for LGBT and HIV+ Populations Phase II, Texas Department of State Health Services & Texas A&M University Center for Community Health Development, State, $5000. (Funded: 2015 - 2016). Grant.
- Williams, Ronald (Principal), Hunt, B. P (Co-Principal). Healthiest Hometown Project: Assessment of Health Programs, Initiatives, and Policies, Blue Cross Blue Shield Foundation of Mississippi and the City of Starkville, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $24000. (Funded: 2012 - 2013). Grant.
- Maginel, J. (Principal), Azuma, K. (Co-Principal), Williams, R. D (Co-Principal), Barnes, J. T (Co-Principal). Drug Free Communities Grant: Southeast Missouri Youth Substance Abuse Prevention Coalition, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Federal, $625000. (Funded: 2010 - 2015). Grant.
- Barnes, J. T (Principal), Williams, Ronald D (Principal). Southeast Missouri Tobacco Prevention and Cessation Initiative, Missouri Foundation for Health, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $205604. (Funded: 2009 - 2011). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Reviewer / Referee
Substance Use and Misuse
Editorial Review Board Member
The Health Educator
Eta Sigma Gamma
August 1, 2013-Present
Editorial Review Board Member
Journal of Drug Education
January 1, 2011-Present
Editorial Review Board Member
American Journal of Health Behavior
January 1, 2009-July 2021