Faculty Profile for Dr. Lyn G Litchke
Biography and EducationAssociate Professor of Therapeutic Recreation (TR) in the Department of Health and Human Performance at Texas State University in San Marcos. She serves as TR graduate internship coordinator. She is the 2016 Presidential Award for Service Winner. She has been a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Therapist for over 30 years, and is also certified 200 hr. integrative Yoga Therapist, Lakshmi Voelker Chair Yoga Teacher, Certified Master Trainer for Drumtastic, and Health Rhythms Instructor. 2018 Founder of "DrumCats" research initiative for Drumtastic and Yoga Therapy for children, youth, teens, and young adults with disabilities and disorders.
Teaching Interestsservice learning fellow
Research InterestsAdaptive drumming engagement for children partnered with college students with and without disabilities in conjunction with Special Education. Adaptive yoga for persons for children and youth with Autism Spectrum Disorder and persons with Alzheimer’s disease.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Litchke, L. G., & Bracken, M. M. (2018). A qualitative study on the social-emotional benefits of Drumtastic® Ability Beats for children with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Recreation Therapy, 17(3), 37–47.
- Litchke, L. G., Liu, T., & Castro, S. (2018). Effects of multimodal mandala yoga on social and emotional skills for youth with autism spectrum disorder: An exploratory study. International Journal of Yoga, 11(1), 59. Retrieved from 271 Lake Ridge Dr.
- Litchke, L. G., & Rivers, A. (2017). Spirituality, friendship, and ADHD: Implications for inclusion in recreation. Journal of Childhood and Religion, 7. Retrieved from http://childhoodandreligion.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/FinalarticleSpiritualityFriendshipDisabilityADHD021617-WITH-HEADER.pdf
- Litchke, L. G. (2017). Cupcakes, Yoga, And Jesus: Overcoming the Sticky Situation of Addiction. Indiana, USA: Westbow Press. Retrieved from www.cupcakesyogaandjesus.com
- Scroggins, M., Litchke, L. G., & Liu, T. (2016). Effects of Multisensory Yoga on Behaviour a Male Child with Apert and Asperger Syndrome. International Journal of Yoga Therapy, 9(1), 81–84. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-6131.171716
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi National Honor Society. December 2016
- Award / Honor Nominee: Diversity Award, Excellence In Diversity Award Faculty Nominee. April 2016 - August 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Award for Excellence in Service, Texas State University. June 11, 2016 - August 22, 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Service Award, Presidential Award for Excellence. January 1, 2016 - June 10, 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: TRAPS Lone Star Programing Achievement Award Special Recognition for Access Grind Skate Without Limits, Texas Recreation and Parks Society. December 1, 2013 - March 1, 2014
- Litchke, Lyn G (Principal). Services to Students with Autism Grant-Seguin ISD Subgrantor award for Drumtastic and Yoga, Texas Education Agency, State, $14124. (Submitted: April 2018, Funded: October 2018 - May 2019). Grant.
- Litchke, Lyn G (Principal). Different Hearts One Beat: Drumtastic Data Collection: Hernandez Elementary Special Education, San Marcos Youth Council, Municipal, $1500. (Funded: September 2017 - December 2017). Grant.
- Litchke, Lyn G (Principal). Drumtastic Data Collection: Clinic for Autism Research and Evaluation and Support (CARES) summer camp doing yoga research, San Marcos Youth Council, Municipal, $5000. (Funded: June 2017 - August 2017). Grant.
- Litchke, Lyn (Principal). University Lecture Series, University Lecture Series, Dean of Students Office- Greek Affairs, Counseling Center, and HHP, Institutional (Higher Ed), $5000. (Submitted: January 1, 2015, Funded: January 1, 2015 - December 31, 2015). Grant.
- Litchke, Lyn (Principal). Study Abroad, Texas State University, Institutional (Higher Ed), $3000. (Submitted: July 1, 2014). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Yoga Empowered Student Club
Presidential Award for Excellence in Service Committee
Co founder of Best Friends for Life Community Inclusion Program
San Marcos Parks and Recreation Youth Division
February 2014-April 2019
Community Engaged Scholarship Lab Committee
January 2018-January 2019
Seguin Health Advisory Council
August 2017-January 2019