Faculty Profile for Dr. Anthony Deringer
Biography and EducationDr. Deringer is an Assistant Professor at Texas State University in the Recreation Administration division. Prior to academia, Dr. Deringer lead backpacking, climbing, and river trips and was the administrator for several outdoor recreation programs. His work experience inspired him to conduct research in the area of human interactions with nature. Recent research project topics include mindfulness in outdoor recreation, nature connection, and virtual nature experiences.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Griffin, L. K., Meaney, K. S., & Deringer, S. A. (2020). “Until I’m Just Too Old to Turn the Pedals”: Exploring Motivational Characteristics of Participants in a High School Mountain Bike Program. Journal of Outdoor Recreation, Education, and Leadership, 12, 397–408. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.18666/JOREL-2020-V12-I4-10182
- Deringer, S. A., Hodges, J. S., & Griffin, L. K. (2020). Mindfulness as a tool for place-based educators. Journal of Outdoor and Environmental Education, 23(2), 121–135. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42322-020-00053-8
- Deringer, S. A., Hanley A., Hodges, J. S., & Griffin, L. K. (2020). Improving ecological behavior in outdoor recreation through mindfulness interventions: A mixed methods inquiry. Journal of Outdoor Recreation, Education, and Leadership, 2(2), 149–163. https://doi.org/10.18666/JOREL-2020-V12-I2-9802
- Sneed, J. C., Deringer, S. A., & Adam, H. (n.d.). Nature connection and 360-degree video: An exploratory study with immersive technology. Journal of Experiential Education.
- Deringer, S. A., & Hanley, A. (n.d.). Virtual reality of nature can be as effective as actual nature in promoting ecological behavior. Ecopsychology.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award in Service. August 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Teaching, Texas State University. May 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor Award: The Alfred H. Nolle Chapter of Alpha Chi Honor Society. August 2018 - December 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor Award: The Alfred H. Nolle Chapter of Alpha Chi Honor Society. January 2018 - May 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: AORE 2016 National Conference Best Poster Award, Association for Outdoor Recreation and Education. November 2016
- Kipp, Lindsay E. (Principal), Griffin, Luther Kent (Co-Principal), Deringer, Stephen Anthony (Co-Principal), Mettler, Joni A (Co-Principal), Forsythe, Michelle Elizabeth (Co-Principal). Enhancing mental and physical health of children and adolescents through innovative afterschool programs, College of Education Social Innovation Research Accelerator, Texas State University, $13396. (Submitted: October 2019, Funded: January 2020 - May 2021). Grant.
- Griffin, Luther Kent, Deringer, Stephen A (Co-Principal), Thomas, Krista A. Spring Lake Outdoor Education Program, State of Texas, $49276.31. (Funded: May 1, 2019 - December 31, 2020). Grant.
- Griffin, Luther Kent, Deringer, Stephen Anthony (Co-Principal). San Marcos High School Mountain Bike Program, San Marcos Commission on Children and Youth, Municipal, $2000. (Funded: April 1, 2019 - May 31, 2020). Grant.
- Deringer, Stephen Anthony. San Marcos youth master plan funding for research conducted at Spring Lake Outdoor Education Program, $3360. (Funded: May 2019 - May 2020). Grant.
- Deringer, Stephen Anthony, Walters, Sarah Elizabeth. San Marcos youth master plan funding for research conducted at Goal POST Program, $4320. (Funded: May 2019 - May 2020). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Wimberley Parks Board
Reviewer / Referee
Journal of Leisure Research
HHP Travel Committee
Association for Experiential Education Activate Committee
Reviewer / Referee
Journal of Ecopsychology