Faculty Profile for Dr. Kristina Henry Collins
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Collins, K. H. (2020). Talking about racism in American and in education: The reflections of gifted Black scholar and mother of a gifted Black young adult. Parenting for High Potential, 9(3), 3, 5–9.
- Collins, K. H., Joesph, N., & Ford, D. Y. (2020). Missing in Action: Gifted, Black Girls in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM). Gifted Child Today, 43(1), 55–63. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1177/1076217519880593
- Cano Amaya, L., Betancourt, T., Collins, K. H., Hinojosa, O., & Corona, C. (2018). Undergraduate Research Experiences - Mentoring, Awareness, and Perceptions: A Case Study at a Hispanic Serving Institution. International Journal of STEM Education, 5, 9. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40594-018-0105-8
- Collins, K. H. (2018). Confronting colorblind STEM talent development: Toward a contextual model for Black student STEM identity. Journal of Advanced Academics, 29(2), 143–168. https://doi.org/10.1177/1932202X18757958
- Collins, K. H., & Roberson, J. J. (2020). Developing STEM identity and talent in underrepresented students: Lessons learned from four gifted, Black males in a magnet school program. Gifted Child Today, 43(4), 218–230. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1177/1076217520940767
- Award / Honor Recipient: Service Learning Excellence Fellow, Texas State University. August 2016 - Present
- Award / Honor Nominee: 2021 Person to Watch, Bridges Education Group. September 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Teaching, Texas State University. 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: "Multicultural Curriculum Transformation and Research Institute Award, Texas State University. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2015 TAGT Conference Scholar, Texas Association for Giffted and Talented. November 1, 2015
- Collins, Kristina Henry. General Mills Foundation Community Action Grant, $8000. (Funded: 2012). Grant.
- Collins, Kristina Henry. Liberal arts cultural diversity program and study abroad curriculum, $20000. (Funded: 2010). Grant.
- Collins, Kristina Henry (Principal), Cano Amaya, Laura (Co-Principal). Mentoring Matters STEM Learning Communities, Equity & Access Committee, Texas State University, $5000.00. (Funded: January 18, 2018 - June 30, 2018). Grant.
- Collins, Kristina Henry. Community-based STEM Scholar Institute, General Mills Foundation Community Action Grant, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $2500. (Funded: 2013). Grant.
- Collins, Kristina Henry (Principal). Science, Engineering, Communications & Mathematics Enrichment (SECME) STEM teacher professional development grant, Newell-Rubbermaid Foundation, $6000. (Funded: 2012). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Editorial Review Board Member
International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (IJTLHE)
Faculty Advisory Council
Event Speaker (Opening Remarks)
Changing the Face of Tech” Career Event presented by Dell Technologies Services & Digital Organization and co-sponsored by Texas State University Career Services
October 2018-October 2018
Advisory Board, Texas Gifted Education Family Network (GEFN)
Adivsory Board, The G Word Film Production