Faculty Profile for Dr. Maneka Deanna Brooks
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Bertrand, M., Brooks, M. D., & Dominguez, A. D. (2020). Challenging adultism: Centering youth as educational decision makers. Urban Education. https://doi.org/10.1177/0042085920959135
- Brooks, M. D. (2019). A mother’s advocacy: Lessons for educators of long-term EL students. In H. A. Linville & J. Whiting (Eds.), Advocacy in English Language Teaching and Learning (pp. 175–189). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Brooks, M. D. (2019). Transforming literacy education for long-term English learners: Recognizing brilliance in the undervalued. New York, NY: Routledge/Taylor & Francis. Retrieved from https://www.routledge.com/Transforming-Literacy-Education-for-Long-Term-English-Learners-Recognizing/Brooks/p/book/9781138558113
- Brooks, M. D. (2018). Pushing past myths: Instructional design for “long-term English learners". TESOL Quarterly [Invited Teaching Issues], 52(1), 221–233. https://doi.org/10.1002/tesq.435
- Brooks, M. D., & Rodela, K. C. (2018). Why am I in reading intervention? A dual-analysis of entry and exit criteria. The High School Journal, 102(1), 72–93. https://doi.org/10.1353/hsj.2018.0020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative, Texas State University. February 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor Award, Alpha Chi Honor Society. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative, Texas State University. February 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Recognition for Service, Board of Trustees and San Marcos Consolidated ISD. December 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Teaching, College of Education. 2016
- Brooks, Maneka Deanna. TWHE Development Grant, Texas Women in Higher Education, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $500. (Submitted: February 2016, Funded: March 2016 - April 2016). Grant.
- Brooks, Maneka Deanna. Selecting texts for long-term English learners (LTELs): An investigation of biology teachers' text selection practices, Texas State University, Research Enhancement Program, $4080. (Submitted: October 2014, Funded: January 2015 - May 2016). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Literacy Research: Theory, Method, and Practice
Book Study: We Want to do More than Survive
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Training Task Force
Editorial Board Member
Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy