Faculty Profile for Dr. Stephen P Ciullo
Biography and EducationStephen Ciullo is an Associate Professor of Special Education. His research focuses on two topics. First, he studies the extent to which classroom writing instruction provided to students with disabilities aligns with research evidence, and how observed instruction relates to students’ writing performance. Second, Stephen is interested in interventions that enhance teachers’ effectiveness in the area of writing and content-area knowledge.
Stephen has received three research grants from the Institute of Education Sciences (IES). He is Primary Investigator (PI) on an IES-funded project (R324A180137) that explores the extent to which effective writing instructional practices are used by special educators and general educators who teach writing to students with disabilities. This project also examines differences between the writing instruction of special educators and general educators. Stephen serves as Co-PI on a second IES-funded grant (R324A190028) with Dr. Linda Mason (PI). This project explores relationships between middle school social studies and science teachers' use of evidence-based writing practices, teachers' beliefs about adapting instruction for students with disabilities, and students' writing outcomes. Additionally, Stephen is Co-PI on a recently funded IES grant (PI Alyson Collins, Texas State University). This project (R305A200363) is a meta-analysis of writing interventions for students in Grades K-5.
Stephen teaches undergraduate as well as graduate-level special education courses. His courses focus on Learning Disabilities, and instructional practices that improve reading and writing outcomes for students who receive special education services.
Before joining Texas State University, Stephen earned his doctorate in Special Education from the University of Texas at Austin. He was also a Special Education teacher in New York for six years.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Collins, A. A., Ciullo, S. P., Graham, S., Sigafoos, L., Guerra, S., David, M., & Judd, L. (2021). Writing expository essays from social studies texts: A self-regulated strategy development study. Reading and Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 34, 1623–1651. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1007/s11145-021-10157-2
- Ciullo, S. P., Collins, A. A., Daniel, W., Lo, Y. L., McKenna, J., & Osman, D. (2020). Students with Learning Disabilities in the Social Studies: A Meta-Analysis of Intervention Research. Exceptional Children, 86(4), 393–412. https://doi.org/doi.org/10.1177%2F0014402919893932
- Garwood, J., Ciullo, S. P., Wissinger, D., & McKenna, J. (2020). Civics for students with learning disabilities and emotional and behavioral disorders. Intervention in School and Clinic. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F1053451220944143
- Brownell, M., Ciullo, S. P., & Kennedy, M. (2020). High-leverage practices: Teaching students with disabilities – and all students who need a learning boost. American Educator. Retrieved from https://www.aft.org/ae/winter2020-2021/brownell_ciullo_kennedy
- Ciullo, S. P., Emily, E., John, M., Kathryn, A., & Michael, K. (2019). Reading instruction for students with learning disabilities in grades 4 and 5: An observation study. Learning Disability Quarterly, 42(2), 67–79. https://doi.org/0731948718806654
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Distinction Award in Scholarly Creative Activities, College of Education. 2017
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Distinction Nomination in Scholarly/Creative Activities, Texas State University. 2016
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Distinction Award for Scholarly / Creative Activities, College of Education. 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Summer Statistics Workshop: An Introduction to Multi-Level Modeling, Institute of Education Sciences (IES). 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Leadership Academy, Council of Learning Disabilities. 2013
- Ciullo, Stephen P (Co-Principal), Collins, Alyson Alexander (Principal). Comprehensive Meta-Analysis of Writing Interventions for Students in Grades K to 5, Institute of Education Sciences, Federal, $599000. (Funded: August 2021 - August 2023). Grant.
- Collins, Alyson Alexander (Principal), Ciullo, Stephen P (Co-Principal), Graham, Steve (Co-Principal). Comprehensive meta-analysis of writing interventions for students in grades K to 5, Institution of Education Sciences (IES), Federal, $599953. (Funded: August 1, 2020 - July 31, 2022). Grant.
- Mason, Linda H (Principal), Berkeley, Sheri (Co-Principal), Ciullo, Stephen P (Co-Principal), Collins, Alyson Alexander (Co-Principal). Writing in middle school science and social studies: Exploring instruction and support for students with disabilities (Project Explore), Institution of Education Sciences (IES), Federal, $1399887. (Funded: July 1, 2019 - June 30, 2023). Grant.
- Ciullo, Stephen P (Principal), Collins, Alyson Alexander (Co-Principal), Graham, Steve (Co-Principal). Exploring writing instruction delivered by teachers providing services to students with disabilities, Institution of Education Sciences (IES), Federal, $1398259. (Funded: August 1, 2018 - July 31, 2022). Grant.
- Ciullo, Stephen P (Principal), Collins, A (Co-Principal), Graham, S (Co-Principal). Exploring Writing Instruction Delivered by Educators Providing Services to Students with Disabilities, Institute of Education Sciences, Federal, $1398259. (Submitted: August 2017, Funded: August 2018 - August 2022). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Institute of Education Sciences
Journal of Learning Disabilities
Search Committee for Curriculum and Instruction Department Chair
Raise Your Hand Texas- Recruitment Committee
Development Team for New Comprehensive Examinations in Special Education