Faculty Profile for Dr. Emily Miller Payne
Biography and EducationEmily Miller Payne holds an Ed.D. in Reading Education from New Mexico State University. She is Associate Professor in the graduate programs in Developmental Education and Director of the Doctoral Program. Since 2001 she has served as Director of The Education Institute which houses developmental and adult education externally-funded research and service grants
Research InterestsAdult student transition to postsecondary models, developmental and basic literacy instruction, and the impact of developmental education professional development on instruction.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Hodges, R. B., Payne, E. M., Morgan, K., Johnson-Ashton, K., & Leblanc, R. (2019). Salient factors for student success through a learning framework course. Journal of College Reading and Learning Association, 49(2), 129–145.
- Caverly, D. C., Payne, E. M., Castillo, A. M., Sarker, A. L., & West, D. B. (n.d.). Digital Literacies among Developmental Education Students. Journal of College Reading and Learning, 1–36. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1080/10790195.2019.1638218
- Hodges, R. B., Payne, E. M., & Hernandez, P. (2018). CLADEA-Endorsed Certification Programs. In A Modern Guide for Learning Assistance Professionals in Higher Education (pp. 125–139). Bentonville, AK, USA: OGHNA Creative Media.
- Payne, E. M., Hodges, R. B., & Hernandez, P. (2018). Changing demographics and needs assessment for learning centers in the 21st Century. In A Modern Guide for Learning Assistance Professionals in Higher Education (pp. 21–38). Bentonville, AK, USA: OGHNA Creative Media.
- Hodges, R. B., Payne, E. M., Suh, E. K. J., Hernandez, P., Wu, N., Castillo, A., & Shetron, T. (2018). A review of demographic trends for Texas and the United States. Journal of College Academic Support Programs, 1(2), 25–35.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Lifetime Achievement Award, College Academic Support Programs. 1988 - 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Administrator of the Year, Texas Association for Literacy and Adult Education. October 15, 2015 - April 11, 2016
- Payne, Emily Miller (Principal). School of Education Scholarly/Creative Grant to support activities related to The Adult, SWT College of Education, $2000. (Funded: 1996). Grant.
- Suh, Emily Kyung Jin, Payne, Emily Miller. A Comparative Analysis of State Policy and Implementation: Understanding the Adult ESL-to-Credit Pipeline, $16000. (Submitted: October 2018, Funded: January 2019 - December 2020). Grant.
- Payne, Emily Miller (Principal). Texas Success Initiative Professional Development Program, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, State, $780000. (Funded: 2015 - 2018). Grant.
- Payne, Emily Miller (Principal), Hodges, Russ (Co-Principal). Texas Adult Education Standards and Benchmarks, Texas Workforce Commission, State, $430000. (Funded: 2015 - 2017). Grant.
- Paulson, E. (Principal), Payne, Emily Miller (Co-Principal). Construction of a Credentialing Model for Developmental Education in the State of Texas, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, $70000. (Funded: 2011 - 2012). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Developmental Education ResearchCurriculum Committee
Commission on Adult Basic Education, Developmental Education Presentation Proposal Strand
DE Schedule Committee
DE Graduate Faculty Committee
Council for Interdisciplinary Research and Grants