Faculty Profile for Dr. Melissa A Martinez
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Martinez, M. A. (2018). From student to professor: How Hispanics are fairing as faculty in higher education. In A. de los Santos Jr., G. Keller, R. Tannenbaum, & A. Acereda (Eds.), New Directions: Assessment and Academic Preparation of Hispanic College Students (pp. 69–80). Tempe, AZ: Bilingual Press.
- Martinez, M. A., Niño, J. M., & Torres, I. (2018). Examining intersectionalities among male faculty of color on the tenure-track. Intersections: Critical Issues in Education, 2(2), 57–75.
- Rodriguez, C., Martinez, M. A., & Valle, F. (2018). Latino educational leadership: Serving Latino communities and preparing Latina/o leaders across the P-20 pipeline. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Rodriguez, C., Martinez, M. A., & Valle, F. (2018). Evolving Latino Leadership: For Latino Communities and Latinx leaders across the P-20 pipeline. In A. G. de los Santos Jr., L. Rendon, G. F. Keller, A. Acereda, E. M. Bensimon, & R. J. Tannenbaum (Eds.), Latino educational leadership: Serving Latino communities and preparing Latinx leaders across the P-20 pipeline (pp. 89–106). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Martinez, M. A., Lewis, K., & Marquez, J. (n.d.). College ready at a cost: Underrepresented students overwhelmed, scared, increasingly stressed, and coping. Education and Urban Society.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Journal of Research on Leadership Education Best Article of the Year, University Council for Educational Administration. November 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Fall 2017 Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi National College Honor Society, Texas State University. December 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Early Career awardee, American Educational Research Association, Division A. November 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Mentee Participant in Scholar/Mentor Program, Texas State University. November 1, 2015 - October 1, 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activities at Assistant Professor level, Texas State University. August 2016
- Martinez, Melissa A (Principal). Increasing college readiness and creating a college going culture: A case study of successful Texas high schools that predominantly serve low-income students and students of color, Greater Texas Foundation, State, $90000. (Submitted: January 1, 2013, Funded: December 2016). Grant.
- Martinez, Melissa A (Principal). University starts at home: A pilot program to help parents guide their children to college, Texas State University - College of Education Faculty Pilot Research Grant, Institutional (Higher Ed), $5000. (Funded: 2013). Grant.
- Martinez, Melissa A. Latina educational administrators nationwide (LEAN)., Research Enhancement Program. Texas State University, Texas State University, $6000. (Submitted: October 2016, Funded: January 2017 - May 2018). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Editorial Review Board Member
Journal of School Leadership
December 2017-December 2020
CLAS Annual Review Appeals Committee, Texas State University
Editorial Review Board Member
Journal of Cases in Educational Leadership
Academic Standards Committee, Texas State University
August 2016-January 2019
Faculty Development Planning Team, Texas State University