Faculty Profile for Dr. Jovita M Ross-Gordon
Biography and EducationEd.D., 1985, University of Georgia, Adult Education
M.A., 1975, Northwestern University, Learning Disabilities
B.S., 1974, Northwestern University, Speech and Language Pathology
Research InterestsDr. Ross-Gordon’s research centers on teaching and learning of adults, with specific foci on 1) adult learners in higher education, 2) adults with disabilities, and 3) issues of diversity and equity in adult higher education and continuing professional education.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Murray-Johnson, K., & Ross-Gordon, J. M. (2018). Everything is about balance: Graduate education faculty and the navigation of difficult dialogues on race. Adult Education Quarterly, 68(2), 137–156.
- Ross-Gordon, J. M., Rose, A., & Kasworm, C. (2016). Foundations of adult and continuing education. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Gordon, S. P., & Ross-Gordon, J. M. (2018). Foundations of adult development and learning: Implications for educational supervision. In S. Zepeda & J. Ponticell (Eds.), Handbook on educational supervision. (pp. 45–73). Hoboken, NJ, U.S: Wiley Blackwell.
- Rose, A. D., Smth, T. J., Ross-Gordon, J. M., Zaretsky, J., Lopes, T., Smith, M. C., … Fleige, M. (n.d.). Adults’ civic engagement in the U.S. and Germany: Evidence from the PIAAC Survey. Washington, DC, U.S.: American Institutes for Research.
- Ross-Gordon, J. M. (2017). Racing the field of adult education--Making the invisible visible. PAACE Journal of Lifelong Learning, 26, 55–76.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Cyril O. Houle Award, Outstanding Literature in Adult Education, American Association for Adult and Continuing Education. October 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Inducted into International Adult Education Hall of Fame. November 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award, Teaching. 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Distinguished Alumni-Lifetime Achievement Award, University of Georgia, College of Education. 2013
- Award / Honor Recipient: Career Achievement Award, Commission of Professors of Adult Education, AAACE. November 2013
- Ross-Gordon, Jovita M (Co-Principal). Assessment of Adults with Learning Disabilities, Research Enhancement Grant, Southwest Texas State University, Southwest Texas State University, $7592. (Funded: January 1999 - August 1999). Grant.
- Ross-Gordon, Jovita M (Co-Principal). Summer Institute: Teaching Adults with Learning Disabilities, Pennsylvania Department of Education, $39600. (Funded: July 1992 - January 1993). Grant.
- Ross-Gordon, Jovita M (Principal). Transitional Employment and Services for Young Adults with Learning Disabilities, U. S. Office of Education (H078C8022), $99004. (Funded: July 1988 - June 1989). Grant.
- Ross-Gordon, Jovita M (Principal). Learning Strategies Used by Learning Disabled Students in Adult Basic Education and Literacy Programs, Pennsylvania Department of Education, $11284. (Funded: July 1986 - June 1987). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education sourcebook series, Jossey-Bass
Co-Editor (with Ann Brooks, Amy Rose, Lisa Baumgartner)
Adult Education Quarterly
April 2011-April 2014
Education Ph.D., Texas State University
CLAS Annual Review PPS Revision Commitee
Adult, Professional, and Community Education Program